Program Advisor (Environmental Science Program)
Founded in 1969, Stockton University, New Jersey’s Distinctive Public University, is also one of America’s most distinctive public universities, consistently ranking among the nation’s finest educational institutions and among the top ten public Master’s institutions in the Northeast. Stockton proudly offers the academic, technological, and cultural advantages of a large institution combined with the community spirit of a small liberal arts college. Stockton is noted for combining an outstanding interdisciplinary approach to graduate and undergraduate education with all the qualities of an outstanding employer. We offer a unique vibrant working environment, a wealth of work related opportunities and outstanding employee benefits. Stockton is committed to attracting, encouraging and retaining a qualified workforce to support the mission of the University. The University is located in the Pinelands National Reserve in southern New Jersey, about one hour from Philadelphia, two hours from New York City, three hours from the Baltimore/Washington area, and 20 minutes from Atlantic City. The University’s location, active, stimulating campus life and diverse community make Stockton University a great place to work!
The New Jersey Division of Military and Veteran’s Affairs (NJDMAVA) is a state agency responsible for supporting the New Jersey Army National Guard (NJARNG) and veterans of the state by providing training lands and building infrastructure for the NJARNG. The NJDMAVA Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) implements various environmental programs that support the missions of the NJARNG and the NJDMAVA including but not limited to:
- Compliance Management including air and water quality management and permitting, underground and above ground storage tank management, hazardous waste management, asbestos management, spill prevention management.
- Natural and Cultural Resources Management including rare species, wetland, predator, Canada geese, and historic building management and archeological surveys.
- Policy and Planning Management including complying with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), implementing the Army National Guard (ARNG) Environmental Compliance and Assessment (ECAS) and ARNG environmental management system (EMS) programs, geographic information system (GIS) data development, conducting environmental training, and developing and implementing the EMB budget; and
- Remedial Investigations and Cleanup including conducting ARNG Environmental Condition of Property, Environmental Baseline Surveys, and Preconstruction Assessments (EBS/ECOP/PCA) surveys and remediation of contaminated sites.
NJDMAVA EMB has established an effective, year round, credit bearing, internship program managed by Stockton University. The Program Advisor will act as a full time project manager, internship advisor and will instruct and mentor up to four student interns per semester for the purpose of implementing this program. The Program Advisor will support NJDMAVA EMB staff on a series of tasks, including, but not limited to:
- Air and water quality management and permitting,
- NEPA compliance,
- Storage tank management,
- Spill prevention,
- Cultural and natural resource management,
- Environmental training,
- Hazardous waste management,
- GIS data development,
- Site investigations and remediation, and
- Asbestos management.
The Program Advisor will also be expected to lead a group of interns to develop Project Management Plans, monthly and annual reports, and any other deliverables related to the tasks set by NJDMAVA and Stockton University staff.
- Must be a legal citizen of the United States and submit to a DOD national agency background check in order to obtain a DOD CAC,
- Have or be able to obtain prior to employment a valid State of New Jersey driver’s license,
- Have graduated with at least a Bachelor of Science majoring in Environmental Sciences, Geology, Geomatics, Biology, Geography, Forestry, Wildlife Management, or related cultural and natural resources programs,
- Have at least one year experience working in Environmental Management or a related field.
Starting Date: October 1, 2017 or soon after
General Info: All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply please visit: https://stockton.hiretouch.com. Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please complete the on-line application in addition to providing the following required documents. All required documents must be submitted in order for your application to move forward. You may upload documents using; Word, PDF or Videos either as one single file or as individual attachments.
- A letter that addresses your qualification for this job (how you meet the academic qualifications, desired skills and the qualities that make you ideal for this job)
- A one page resume
- A list of three easy-to-reach professional references through https://stockton.hiretouch.com/ (included in the application): Name, Company, Email address and Phone.
Phone calls will be placed to applicants who have been selected for an interview. The rest of the pool will get automatic feedback when their applications are complete, and when the position is filled.
- All offers of employment are contingent upon a favorable background check.
- Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact: Sharon Hunt, Recruitment Manager at 609-652-4384.
- In accordance with the New Jersey First Act P.L. 2011 c.70, effective September 1, 2011, new public employees in certain positions are required to obtain New Jersey residency within one (1) year of employment. Applicants must meet the requirements listed.
- Prospective employees may access the Annual Security Report for the University at www.stockton.edu/campuspolice or contact the Campus Police department at 609-652-4378 to request a hard copy of the report.
- Stockton University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants, visit; http://www.stockton.edu/affirmative_action. Additionally, pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, Stockton University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex (i.e., which includes but is not limited to the prohibition of sexual misconduct and relationship violence, including sexual assault and harassment) in all of its educational programs and activities.