Metadata Technician III - University Libraries
The University of Denver Library brings the history of cultural experience to successive generations, enabling each to gain insight into the human endeavor. The Library is central to discovery and creative interaction among students and faculty. The Library links information and the University community regardless of the location of the information or the individual seeking it.
Reporting to the Metadata and Digitization Librarian, this is a part-time position responsible for complex original cataloging of Special Collections and Archives materials and the creation and management of digital assets as part of the Libraries digitization program. This positions duties include original cataloging in the library's library management system, archival collection management system, and digital repositories. This position closely collaborates with faculty, staff, and students in the department on metadata and digitization projects, completes database maintenance projects to assist in the management of the University's digital library program, and contributes analysis and initiative required in resolving problems.
- Solves metadata problems and performs metadata maintenance in Special Collections and Archives management applications.
- Performs digitization and digital reformatting projects for textual and visual resources, and assists with digital asset management.
Standards and Professional Development
- Maintains a knowledge and understanding of content standards (DACS, RDA) and metadata standards (MARC, MODS), as well as standards for digital preservation and access.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good judgment, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Attention to detail, and a high accuracy rate in all work completed.
- The ability to understand cataloging and metadata rules and to apply them correctly in multiple systems.
- Familiarity with computer hardware and software.
- Good typing skills
- Attention to detail
- A high accuracy rate in all work done.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively in a team setting.
- High school diploma.
- 1-2 years of experience working in a library or cultural heritage setting to include experience working with online database systems, library management systems, or archival collection management systems or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university.
- Previous academic library or cultural heritage institution experience including: experience working with online database systems, library management systems (particularly Ex Libris products), or archival collection management systems (particularly ArchivesSpace).
- Experience with bibliographic utilities (OCLC), content standards (RDA, DACS) and metadata standards (MODS, MARC), as well as subject access principles and application (LC, AAT).
20 hours per week, between 8am - 5pm, Monday - Friday
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00pm on Friday, August 25, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. If you have questions regarding this position please contact Jessica Lovan at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.