Working Title Academic Advisor
Inspire Awesome with Eastern Washington University! We are currently seeking skilled and team-oriented applicants for the following position:
The Academic Advisor assists students with developing academic plans that are consistent with their life, career, and educational goals. This holistic approach to student development requires the advisor to build and sustain ongoing educational relationships with the students that promote persistence, encourage resiliency, and improve academic achievement.
The advisor will consult regularly with university faculty, staff, and administration to maintain up-to-date awareness of university programs, information, technologies, and procedures; conduct group presentations/classes; and assist in planning and maintaining overall advising program.
The candidate selected for this position will be rewarded with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package which includes highly subsidized health/dental plans, retirement plan with 100% university match, generous paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays (adjusted accordingly), tuition waiver benefit and more!
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.
About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern's Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Conditions of Employment
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university fund or other items of value, as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 18. Successful applicant will be required to pass a background check.
This position is part of the PSE bargaining unit.
Optional: Contact Saundra Godin in Human Resources at email@example.com to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis which will describe conditions of employment, such as physical demands.Required Qualifications:
- Master's degree (any field).
- Two (2) years of experience in academic advising or related work which includes one-to-one interactions and group meetings.
- Work experience utilizing theory-based practices to facilitate student success inside and outside of the classroom.
- Demonstrated experience using computer technologies such as databases, internet, spreadsheets, tracking systems, and word processing.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and time while under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
- Candidates must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency or diversity.
- Master's degree in related fields such as adult education, academic advising, or counseling.
- Experience in a college or university setting teaching college success strategies workshops or classes.
- Professional advising experience of students in a college or university setting which includes a focus on advising, persistence, retention, or student success programs.
- Fluency in a second language.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to work in a positive manner to build partnerships and work effectively as a contributing member of an advising team in a fast-paced, high-stress university/college system.