The following position requires familiarity with the community college philosophy, and the ability to work within a culturally diverse college population.
Date: August 21, 2017
TITLE OF POSITION/RANK: HRIS Specialist
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Human Resources Department
RESPONSIBILITIES: Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the HRIS Specialist supervises and coordinates the activities of Human Resources clerical staff in the maintenance and operation of the PeopleSoft HRMS record system in a highly confidential environment. Responsibilities involve providing technical & administrative direction in the processing, verification, and approval of transactions affecting the employment status of all college employees to ensure conformance with Civil Service Law, Westchester County Personnel Rules, labor agreements, and administrative procedures. The incumbent will also ensure that college transactions are mirrored in the Westchester County system via monitoring all individual transactions, generating reports, overseeing the preparation of rosters, and the review of supporting paperwork. Regular contact with departmental administrative and support staff to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of transmitted personnel data, and also with Information Technology staff on the technical aspects of the operation of the record system, is a function of this position. Responsibilites also include:
- Generating reports from the PeopleSoft modules, addressing HR and civil service requirements as well as verifying that transactions are mirrored in the Westchester County system;
- Auditing employee records in the automated system and correcting inaccuracies and discrepancies, as required.
- Participating in meetings with management and administrative staff to analyze existing systems and policies and recommending new procedures and/or revisions in order to ensure maximum utilization of current and/or future resources;
- Leading staff in the testing of the HRIS system when updates and patches are applied to ensure process continuity;
- Overseeing the employment verification process in response to business, banking, and unemployment inquiries;
- Training staff members and representatives of other departments in the processing, retrieval, and interpretation of data from a complex automated payroll/human resources system;
- Acting as a liaison with IT in identifying and correcting problems relating to computerized Payroll/Human Resources roster files and leave processing;
- Overseeing the development and implementation procedures for appropriate records management in accordance with established laws and regulations of the State Education Department for records and retention;
- Additional responsibilities, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: A high school or equivalency diploma and six years of administrative or administrative support experience in the field of human resources, two years of which must have included the operation and utilization of a large automated records system (500 or more employees), and two years of which must have been in a government agency, is required. Knowledge of PeopleSoft HR system and/or experience with Human Resources Information Systems is strongly preferred. Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite is required. The successful candidate must have the ability to work independently and manage/prioritize multiple concurrent projects to completion. S/he must also have the ability to handle a high volume of work and adapt to changing priorities. High levels of attention to detail and organization are required. An understanding of the relational database concept and the ability to report is also required. Strong interpersonal, communication, analytical, and problem solving skills are required. *This is a Civil Service position. The final candidate will be required to take and pass the Civil Service Exam.*
POSITION EFFECTIVE: The position will remain open until filled.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $56,660 plus excellent benefits.
TO APPLY: Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire. You may send a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate: "CODE: IHE" and “HRIS Specialist” in the subject line of the email or mail to: Director, Human Resources, Westchester Community College, HR Department, Administration Building – Suite B42, 75 Grasslands Road, Valhalla, New York 10595; Fax: (914) 606-7838.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence and lifelong learning.