Dean of Students, The University of Chicago Graham School
Created at the founding of the University, the Graham School is committed to enhancing the University of Chicago’s place as a preeminent intellectual destination through support of lifelong learning. Graham is dedicated to curating and disseminating the university’s rich content for a broader set of learners in ever more innovative ways; helping the university engage civically, globally, and with the latest innovations in teaching and learning.
The Dean of Students oversees and directs the Office of the Dean of Students, including the Assistant Dean of Students and the Noncredit Assistant Registrars. He/she is a member of the Dean's Senior Leadership Team and is responsible for the development and implementation of a strategic plan for a broad range of services and programs to enrich the overall student experience. This role serves as a primary unit liaison to the Registrar, Bursar, Student Loan Administration, Student Health Service, Student Counseling Service, Coordinator for Student Disabilities, Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, Office of International Affairs, Campus and Student Life, UChicagoGRAD, and other central student offices.
- Develop and implement strategies for promoting student engagement and learning in collaboration with the Graham academic programs.
- Responsible for the collection and analysis of data on recruitment, admissions, enrollment, student progress, and program and course evaluations; deliver evaluation findings to program staff and strategize to improve outcomes when necessary.
- Collaborate with Senior Leadership to provide direction and guidance in analysis, review, creation, and interpretation of student policies and procedures.
- Develop key collaborative relationships with campus administrative areas, faculty, and campus and community leaders to enhance planning and to implement strategic initiatives, resolving issues, and responding to crisis incidents
- Responsible for overseeing and administering student discipline issues
- Advise students on a broad range of topics including university and school policies, academic concerns, student registration, financial aid, disability accommodations, harassment, leaves of absence and personal issues
- Manage and direct responses to major crisis and other unusual events impacting students within Graham and the University Community.
- Provide instruction and assistance to students, both of a general and/or programmatic nature and specific reference to applicant and student interaction with Slate, the Academic Information System (AIS), and Destiny Solutions.
- Supervise the Assistant Dean of Students and noncredit program registrars.
- Work closely with the Director of Finance and Director of IT in ensuring that all student systems (AIS, Destiny Solutions, Slate, and others) are operational and effectively serving our students.
- Serve as a catalyst for ideas and programs to enhance the quality of student life; collaborate with Campus & Student Life and other Deans of Students in supporting student affairs; serve as a resource to Graham instructors and staff in dealing with students' behavior within and outside the classroom.
- Master's degree required
- Doctorate strongly preferred.
- At least five years of relevant and progressively responsible experience in student affairs or a closely related area required.
- A minimum of four years of senior-level leadership experience successfully managing people and projects, providing direction, setting priorities, identifying opportunities for improvement, and implementing major initiatives for change.
- At least one year of experience working in a higher education research institution preferred.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines required.
- Knowledge of admissions and aid procedures required.
- Ability to effectively communicate with faculty and administrators at all levels within the University required.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal skills, and a collaborative leadership style required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office required.
- Strong interest and capacity for working with students in providing academic counseling and support required
- Excellent written and verbal skills required.
- Ability to collect, analyze and use data for planning required.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and make decisions required.
- First-hand experience in professional master’s programs preferred.
- Knowledge of database management and network software preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in program development and management preferred.
Interested candidates can view more and apply at:
Apply for Dean of Students, The University of Chicago Graham School
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly