Full-time, year round position, job group and level PT-3
The Amherst College Loeb Center for Career Exploration and Planning invites applications for the position of Communications Manager. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
The Communications Manager will develop, implement, and manage coordinated strategies to effectively promote and market the Loeb Center for Career Exploration's offerings in alignment with Amherst's mission to ensure that all students have access to the College's resources.
The Manager will play a major role in the development of a comprehensive communications strategy for the Loeb Center and help build and manage the Loeb Center's social media presence, delivering compelling communications that inform, motivate, and help connect the Amherst College community to technology.
The Manager will work effectively with diverse teams, demonstrate a commitment to continually improving how the center serves Amherst students, and participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
The key responsibilities of the position are enumerated below:
- Co-create with the Associate Director a centralized communications strategy and process for the Loeb Center
- Create, implement and manage internal and external communications for the team
- Create a cohesive suite of materials, including print and digital publications (e.g., brochures, annual reports, flyers, newsletters) that represent and position the Loeb Center in accordance with its strategic goals and most critical audiences
- Regularly write, design, and edit high quality communication materials delivered to varied audiences through a variety of means
- Use a wide range of media including email, social media, web, video and print and ensure that all media are appropriately utilized and coordinated with Loeb Center programming
- Create and execute the Loeb Center's student e-newsletter
- Manage online career resources (e.g. Candid Career, Vault); including the Amherst College Loeb Center webpages
- Execute day-to-day social media engagement
- Serve as the Loeb Center's liaison to the Office of Communications
Marketing and Strategy
- Serve as the team's creative thinker and internal consultant on social media strategy, acting as a proactive subject matter expert and developing team guidelines
- Evaluate existing print and electronic materials and redesign or create new materials to meet changing needs. This may include graphics, charts, informational flyers, print and digital materials, email campaigns, and web-based applications
- Maintain a current understanding of communication trends, especially in relation to engaging with our undergraduate demographic, within the parameters of institutional policies and branding
- Continuously research, test and propose new ideas for social media engagement that will enhance brand awareness as well as the reach to students
Data and Reporting
- Measure and organize social media analytics and reports on the effectiveness of communication campaigns, suggest ways to continuously improve and implement new strategies
- Actively manage data collected from constituent outreach to support and communicate the Loeb Center story
Requirements for this position include a Bachelor's degree; 2 years of related experience; strong project management, time management and organizational skills; knowledge of email best practices including targeted lists, subject lines, messaging, deliverability, etc., and marketing and distribution tools; demonstrated experience managing social platforms; understanding of analytics and how to use metrics to inform recommendations; experience working and learning within diverse teams, and a commitment to effectively serving a diverse student population; exceptional written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills; results and detail oriented, using sound judgment and problem solving skills; ability to lead change and maximize team contributions; proficiency with MS Office, HTML and Adobe products and graphic design tools.
Interestedcandidates should submit a cover letter, resume, the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references, three samples of social media writing that help us understand your range and voice, including an explanation of strategy/goals, audience, and results/success metrics for each; and one writing sample in a longer format, such as a blog post, newsletter article, or story. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!