Temporary Librarian of Life Sciences
California State University, Long Beach
Full-Time Temporary Librarian Position Opening (12 month)
Recruitment #: 2457
Position: Temporary Librarian of Life Sciences (Biological Sciences, Science Education, Nutrition and Dietetics, Food Science, and Speech Pathology) (Full-Time, 12-month)
Effective Date: October 1, 2017 through September 30, 2018
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
• Master's Degree in Library and Information Science (or equivalent) from an American Library Association-accredited program.
• Working experience as an academic librarian or library internship in an academic institution.
• Demonstrated effectiveness at teaching information literacy skills and concepts in an academic library setting.
• Demonstrated effectiveness at providing research assistance.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with university faculty, staff, and students.
• Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population
• Experience as an academic librarian in one or more of the following disciplines: Biological Sciences, Science Education, Nutrition and Dietetics, Food Science, and Speech Pathology.
• Demonstrated ability to evaluate, select, and review information resources in relation to curricular and collection needs.
• Provide in-person and online reference services at a service-oriented and all-purpose reference desk for approximately 6 hours per week, including some evenings and weekends.
• Provide library instruction and consultation services to the students and faculty to the Departments of Biological Sciences, Science Education, Nutrition and Dietetics, Food Science, and Speech Pathology.
• Serve as the Library's subject specialist for the above-specified departments, which includes evaluating, selecting, and reviewing information resources in relation to curricular and collection needs.
• Work closely with subject librarians and other members of the University community as appropriate.
• During predetermined and specific times of the academic year, work in the Thesis and Dissertation Office evaluating graduate manuscripts for formatting to determine compliance with University guidelines.
CSULB seeks to recruit faculty who enthusiastically support the University's strong commitment to the academic success of all of our students, including students of color, students with disabilities, students who are first generation to college, veterans, students with diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and students of diverse sexual orientations and gender expressions. CSULB seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the People of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students a rich variety of expertise, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
• A Student Success Statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced)
• Letter of application addressing the minimum and desired/preferred qualifications
• CV (including current email address)
• Names and contact information for three references
• Copy of transcript from institution awarding highest degree
• Finalists will also be required to submit a signed SC-1 form, three current letters of recommendation, and an official transcript
A background check (including a criminal records check and telephone reference check with most recent employer) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Electronic submissions are highly encouraged. All application materials should be sent as a single PDF document to: email@example.com
Applications, required documentation, and/or requests for information should be addressed to:
Life Sciences Librarian Search Committee
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-1901
562-985-4047 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications to begin September 18, 2017
Position opened until filled (or recruitment canceled)
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, medical condition, age, Vietnam era veteran status, or any other veteran's status. CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.