General Statement of Job
To provide literacy and library instruction and services to students.
Note: Early College (EC) Focus so partial roles and responsibilities include work with EC students and faculty on EC high school campuses sometimes having to adhere to both ACC and high school academic calendars. Hours 40 hour work week; Mon-Fri, and, as needed, occasional evening and weekend hours Salary Salary is assigned according to the Full-Time Faculty Salary Scale. FLSA Status Exempt Reports To Head Librarian Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Interest in and a commitment to an adult teaching and learning environment; effective presentation and teaching competencies.
- Understanding of the comprehensive mission and philosophy of community colleges.
- Knowledge of Library Services subject matter and related and/or relevant topics and issues in Library Services.
- Awareness of sensitive issues relating to a diverse student body.
- Commitment to maintaining competencies in teaching and learning areas including technological skills appropriate to position.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Effective planning, organizing, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to exercise tact and discretion.
- The establishment and maintenance of effective working relationships with professional colleagues.
- The ability to demonstrate sensitivity to, and knowledge of, a diverse student body in an adult learning environment.
- The ability to demonstrate creativity and innovation in the field.
- A commitment to service in the profession and/or the community.
- The ability to effectively assist in student learning and student success.
- A commitment to and skill in interacting with students of diverse backgrounds.
- The ability to maintain an established schedule, including evenings and weekends, including possible multiple campus locations that may vary by semester.
- A commitment to maintaining confidentiality of student information.
- Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications, and knowledge of digital information resources, the internet, and the Worldwide Web, a knowledge of online, electronic resources and classroom or other current learning technologies for effective teaching to ensure student success at the community college level.
Required Work Experience
Preferred Work Experience
- One or more years of experience as a Librarian in a higher education setting.
- One or more years instructional experience with K-12 and/or First-Year-Experience populations.
- Experience in collaborative work within a multi-campus environment.
- Experience with multiple, diverse pedagogical styles to match age levels.
- Experience with a variety of teaching and learning instructional modes and methods and software including digital and online instruction delivery, course management system curriculum, and tutorial creation.
- Master's degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Although ACC teaching and learning systems use extensive digital and online learning modes and methods, reliable transportation may be required for college/library services business meetings, teaching, collaborating with classroom faculty and resource and collection management in multiple campus locations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty and staff.
- Work is routinely performed in a library setting.
- Able to push a fully loaded book cart, and place and remove books from shelves.
- Occasional lifting of 10 pounds of books in a book carton or book bag.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing and pulling, and manual dexterity.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.