Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The Caino lab in the Department of Pharmacology has an opening for a full-time Professional Research Assistant (PRA) to work at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. We are seeking a highly motivated professional to join our team researching the impact of organelle dynamics in cancer progression, specifically in prostate and breast cancer models.
This position reports directly to the PI in the Department of Pharmacology, and is responsible for lab management and cell biology and animal experiments. This project will focus on the role of mitochondria shape, number and subcellular distribution in tumor cell invasion and metastatic dissemination. The PRA will utilize tissue culture and cell biology techniques in the research, including cellular survival and proliferation assays, mitochondrial function and dynamics assays, gene knockdown methods (CRISPR, shRNA), and cellular behavior assays (migration and invasion); molecular approaches will include gene expression by quantitative-PCR and protein assays such as Western blots and immunoprecipitation. In addition, the PRA will use of small animal models of prostate and breast cancer. Work with mice (breeding, injection of tumor cells, survival surgery, drug delivery, imaging and necropsy) will be performed. The PRA will be trained and provided with laboratory protocols, standard procedures and functional assays required by this project.
The PRA will also play a role in managing the daily operation of the laboratory. This will include ordering supplies, preparing stock reagents, and maintaining equipment. The PRA will also be responsible for updating and maintaining laboratory databases, e.g. inventory management, and assistance of safety and regulatory compliance with the PI.
The PRA will be working in the laboratory directly with the PI on a daily basis. In addition, regular lab meetings will be held with the PI bi-weekly and other lab groups as necessary.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- B.S. or M.S. degree in a biological sciences-related field with 2+ years of full-time laboratory experience
- Extensive knowledge of molecular biology, immunofluorescence, microscopy, and mammalian cell culture
- Experience handling (or willingness to receive training and work with small animals (mice)
- Additionally, applicants must have good organizational skills and be experienced with Office suite programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
• Familiarity with cancer research is preferred.
• Technical proficiency in molecular biology, biochemistry and mammalian cell culture
• Ability to perform immunostaining protocols and do basic fluorescence microscopy of fixed cells independently is a plus
• Experience using mice as models for cancer research is preferred
- Critical thinking and the ability and patience to troubleshoot technical hurdles are essential
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability and willingness to develop new skills
• Basic statistical knowledge as applied to experimental analysis
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10757
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20120 - SOM - Pharmacology
Posting Date: Aug 18, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jennifer Orsund
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00615098