Requisition # 2017-7903
Department Woodrow Wilson School
Category Academic Administration
Date Posted 8/18/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
Reporting directly to the director, the executive director takes a leading role in the development and execution of Princeton University's Initiative for Data Exploration and Analytics (IDEAS) for Higher Education. The executive director collaborates with the director and associate director to articulate the initiative's vision, long-term goals, short-term objectives, and measurements for success, and leads two broad initiative objectives.
First, the executive director works directly with interested scholars and university administrators for advancing research and data analytic projects that simultaneously benefit administrative decision-making and operations as well as academic research.
Second, the executive director leads the activities that build durable and sustainable infrastructure (processes, policies, guidelines, data structures, information sharing/repositories) that can further encourage and benefit the collaborative projects referenced above.
- Assist the director and associate director in developing, maintaining, and advancing a strategic agenda by coordinating related projects, programs, and decision-making processes.
- Develop and implement strategies to advance intellectual ambition at Princeton, highlighting the academic nature and potential benefits of administrative engagement in research, evaluation, and assessment work.
RESEARCH AND DATA ANALYTICS FACILITATION AND ENABLING
- Provide leadership by serving as the critical link between the Initiative and the interests and needs of the Princeton senior leadership.
- Partner with and support members of the Princeton Data Management Advisory Group (DMAG) and research governance structure.
- Acting as the Initiative's primary contact, and working closely with the associate director, engage with Princeton's Office of Information Technology (OIT) and departments around campus to build trust and partnerships (and ultimately recommend policies and guidelines) for sharing data across previously-siloed areas.
- As a consultant to faculty, provide subject-matter expertise in research on higher education.
- Facilitate Princeton faculty/administrator research and dissemination relating to projects using University data, ensuring compliance with established data use guidelines and expectations.
- Stay current on related faculty and administrator research and data projects, proactively collecting and analyzing data to identify trends and opportunities.
- Along with the associate director, advocate for and provide direct support to faculty members conducting research using Princeton data, helping them navigate the data available to them, understand compliance requirements and permissions, and problem-solve issues at any point in the research process.
- Proactively identify opportunities for the University to effectively use data and analytics, where applications could be of interest to scholars.
DEVELOPMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE BUILDING
- Curate and publish a comprehensive knowledge base about important data, issues, and trends in higher education and institutional research. Conduct/compile research of national trends in education using tools such as IPEDS.
- Document how the creation and development of the Initiative might serve as a model for other institutions.
- Create and curate analytic data sets, codebooks, and research resources.
- Create safe and secure data-linking infrastructure.
- Advise on technology/security requirements for the use of university data.
- Act as initiative's representative in working with OIT.
- Advise on data stewardship and governance issues, acting as Initiative's representative in internal administrative meetings.
- Support the director's planning and activities around external engagement and forming external partnerships.
- At least ten years of relevant and progressively responsible work experience is required.
- Demonstrates expertise in founding and managing start-up organizations within academic settings.
- Demonstrates familiarity with the goals, nature, and process of academic research, especially using data relevant to higher education.
- Demonstrates familiarity with data systems and related information technology, data structures, and issues around data stewardship, governance, and security.
- Proficient in data management and linking and merging of large administrative data sets.
- Experience at Princeton University or another institution of higher education strongly preferred.
- A PhD in a pertinent field or the equivalent work experience is preferred.
- Experience with producing academic research using administrative data, preferably in higher education.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.