Assistant Director of Maintenance Services
8AM - 5PM
$75,400 - $130,200
The Assistant Director of Maintenance Services is a member of the UCR Facilities Services team that manages operation of the following skilled trade units: Access Control, Carpentry, Electrical, Building Mechanical, Plumbing and Paint/Signs. Provides direct supervision to six (6) Skilled Trades Supervisors, and provides support and indirect supervision to a work force consisting of 51 skilled trades' staff. Provides leadership to staff and ensures adherence to departmental processes, protocols and procedures to provide quality maintenance and repair services in a timely, cost effective manner for all campus facilities. Ensures safety procedures and protocols are established and maintained, ensuring compliance with state, federal and UC regulations. Responsible for operational and financial administration. Provides operational support to other Facilities Services units as necessary. Facilities Services is one of the largest departments at UC Riverside employing nearly 400 career employees. Facilities Services provides exceptional service in maintaining an environment conducive of teaching, learning, living, working and research for the entire campus community. The department maintains buildings, facilities and landscape totaling over 6 million square feet across 1,350 acres of campus. We are a team of service oriented professionals focused on exceptional client engagement, continuous improvement and development opportunities. **UC Riverside career employees who have passed their probationary period will receive priority consideration for this position. If a qualified pool of internal candidates is not identified, qualified external candidates may be considered at the discretion of the hiring department.**
Ability to motivate and inspire subordinate staff to provide the highest level of service to campus constituents.
Broad knowledge and understanding of applicable laws, rules, regulations, and internal policies.
Strong technical skills in the trades.
Ability to ensure that quality and customer service standards are communicated, implemented and continually monitored.
Ability to ensure that subordinate staff provide quick, accurate and appropriate response to both routine maintenance issues as well as emergency response to more urgent situations.
Strong management skills to include organization, interpersonal and written and oral communication, long-and short term planning.
Ability to promote and maintain a safe working environment through subordinate supervisors/staff.
Strong knowledge of facilities maintenance and administration.
Knowledge of human resources procedures, including staffing, hiring, training, disciplinary action, termination, and performance management.
Demonstrated working knowledge of building infrastructure systems.
Working knowledge in fiscal management and establishment of annual budgets for multiple funds and departmental units.
Ability to produce and provide meaningful reports on budgetary status, operational costs/expenses, staffing, equipment, schedules, metrics, etc.
Proficient computer/technical skills.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview