Suffolk University, located in historic downtown Boston, with an international campus in Madrid, is a student-centered institution distinguished by excellence in education and scholarship. Suffolk University offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs in more than 90 areas of study. Its mission is to empower graduates to be successful locally, regionally and globally.
INTO University Partnerships collaborates with leading universities to provide international students with a personalized and highly supportive learning environment in which to acclimate to life on a US university campus and prepare for long-term academic success. Since 2006, INTO has launched partnerships to internationalize 24 universities in the US, UK, and Asia, including Oregon State University, University of South Florida, Colorado State University, Marshall University, George Mason University, Drew University, Saint Louis University, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Washington State University and Suffolk University.
The Staff Accountant reports directly to the INTO North America Finance Business Partner.
The successful candidate will be responsible for a variety of finance and accounting functions within the Finance department that are related to one or more of the following functions: maintaining the general ledger, financial analysis, budget and reforecast analysis, month- and year-end statement preparation, and assistance with the annual financial statement audit.
- Invoicing and Student Accounts
- Billing Sponsors for tuition for relevant students and maintaining control of the process, ensuring that Financial Guarantees are in place prior to billing
- Processing charges on student accounts for continuing students in the program, and issuing the invoice outlining these charges
- Assists in the processing of refunds on student accounts
- Assists in the processing of program extensions and changes on student accounts
- Contact students via email / appointments for non-payment of tuition; and any other student finance communication as required
- Serves as a contact for student and agent queries regarding billing questions
- Establish and maintain ongoing relationships with University Partner financial personnel, including regular review of assigned Joint Ventures’ intercompany invoices.
- General Ledger Maintenance:
- Ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures
- Maintain integrity of general ledger by reviewing account activity and balances for accuracy
- Perform financial analysis of the balance sheet and P&L
- Reconcile transactions by comparing and correcting data
- Month-end Responsibilities:
- Prepare and enter month-end journal entries
- Prepare inter-company reconciliations and invoices
- Prepare draft monthly financials and various financial reports
- Work in close coordination and cooperation with all levels of management, departments, and external auditors.
- Provide support to the Finance Business Partner, Senior Finance Business Partner, Director of Commercial Finance, and business partners, as needed.
- Quarterly and Annual Responsibilities:
- Assist in preparation of quarterly projections (reforecasts)
- Assist with the annual budget preparation process
- Prepare analytical models of financial data to identify trends in revenue, costs, and overhead
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly Board packet materials
- Prepare audit schedules for external auditors and assist in the audit process.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Key accountabilities and duties
This is a valued role in a growing, dynamic organization, so the responsibilities will develop and change over time
but will include the following:
- Practical working knowledge of advanced accounting concepts and US GAAP principals
- Highly skilled in the use of Excel spreadsheets
- High attention to detail and data accuracy
- Ability to prioritize and work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Mathematical ability to handle required calculations and troubleshoot balancing problems
- Flexibility and willingness to undertake and learn new tasks
- Ability to work effectively with and respond effectively to queries from Center staff
- Ability to deliver excellent customer service
- Approachable, works well in a team environment, and is able to work with a diverse group of people
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with international students
- Competent IT and analytical skills
- Ability to use discretion and good judgment
- Desire and ability to engage with students and staff from across the globe
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task
This position is based at Suffolk University in Boston, MA.
Commensurate with experience, plus full benefits package
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business from credible college or university
- Two years of related accounting experience and / or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience working in a fast-paced and customer-focused environment
- Knowledgeable in and comfortable working with standard business and professional tools and equipment
- Experience working with accounting software
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) accreditation
- Master’s degree in Business Administration (MBA) or Accounting (MAc)
- Experience working in higher education
- Experience living and / or studying abroad
- Experience using SalesForce and/or FinancialForce
- Working knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
How to apply
To apply for this position, please click the following link to submit your cover letter and resume.
Open until filled.
INTO University Partnerships provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. INTO University Partnerships complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.