Coordinator of Undergraduate Research - Engineering Administration (V1700006)
Coordinator of Undergraduate Research
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks a Coordinator of Undergraduate Research in the College of Engineering.
- Teach the undergraduate research seminar class (ENG 199 UGR) which introduces engineering students to the basic elements of research, including the logical framework of research, and forms of technical communication (verbal and written). The course is designed to develop undergraduate students' research skills (e.g., writing technical summaries, simplified literature reviews, and abstracts), communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Conduct presentations to promote undergraduate research as invited speaker in engineering courses related to research (e.g., ENG 198 IEFX Research, ENG 298 Roadmap to Graduate School).
- Encourage and support undergraduate student research in the College of Engineering by working with departments, faculty and students.
- Help identify funding opportunities, facilitate the sharing of best practices and provide timely and useful information about undergraduate research opportunities to students.
- Work together with Corporate Relations and Foundation Relations to determine funding opportunities for undergraduate research initiatives.
- Write grant proposals to corporate and foundation sources for undergraduate research programs and events. Collaborate with/provide support to engineering faculty members and staff on grant proposals (e.g., NSF-funded, corporate giving) which involve undergraduate research opportunities.
- Perform strategic search for internal and external research-related funding opportunities for undergraduate engineering students. Share information with students on identified funded undergraduate research opportunities specific to STEM majors.
- Manage the Illinois Scholars Undergraduate Research (ISUR) Program, including program implementation and evaluation, and assessment of student learning.
- Develop and conduct student and mentor surveys to provide information and feedback on undergraduate research experiences.
- Plan, organize, and coordinate college-wide events such as undergraduate research resource fair, workshops, and research symposia.
- Create and distribute newsletter to inform students of undergraduate research events and opportunities on- and off-campus.
- Meet with students to help identify research areas of interest and to advise on ways to get involved in research.
- Update information on the Engineering Undergraduate Research website.
- Assist Promoting Undergraduate Research in Engineering (PURE) program student committee.
- Promote undergraduate research to underrepresented student groups (e.g., Society of Women Engineers, National Society of Black Engineers, Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers).
- Work together with other undergraduate programs (e.g., IPENG, IEFX) to increase awareness about undergraduate research.
- Provide support and guidance to Research Experiences for Undergraduates program coordinators regarding Engineering REU-Internship Process.
- Represent the College in campus-wide committees and programs related to undergraduate research (e.g., serve on Advisory Board of the Illinois Office of Undergraduate Research).
- Two (2) years experience as a Research Assistant or related work with undergraduate or graduate students performing research. Experience may be obtained during Master's study.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Thurman Etchison at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-300-2193.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Coordinator of Undergraduate Research - Engineering Administration (V1700006)
Open Date: 08/17/2017
Organization Name: Engineering Administration