Animal Care Technician II
Requisition # 2017-7893
Department Research Resources
Category Research and Laboratory
Date Posted 1 month ago
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Laboratory Animal Resource (LAR) group at Princeton University is a centralized administrative department reporting to the Dean for Research and is responsible for animal and veterinary care of all research animals at Princeton University. The Animal Care Technician provides state-of-the art animal care for laboratory animals housed within all facilities. Animal Care Technicians are considered essential services staff.
The primary responsibility is to provide animal care to the various laboratory species (rodents, aquatics, and USDA-covered species). The majority will be in the care of rodents. The Animal Care Technician ensures the cleanliness of the facility and the maintenance of adequate supplies of food and bedding materials, including PPE. The Animal Care Technician also will work with other technicians according to a schedule prepared by the LAR Manager and must be willing and able to rotate through all LAR facilities. The Animal Care Technician ensures the highest quality of laboratory animal care and research support, and has good communication skills with co-workers, the LAR management team, PI's, research staff, students, facility maintenance crews and other support services. This position reports directly to the Facility Manager.
- Provides animal care for all species housed according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) including giving food and water to the animals, changing cages, sanitizing all supplies (cages, water bottles, food bins and other animal care related equipment), maintaining clean animal rooms, procedure rooms, hallways and other support areas, keeping records related to animal care.
- Completes work in a timely fashion and according to established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and follows other written and verbal instructions as needed.
- Operates cage washing machinery, ventilated caging, water system, bedding dispensing units, full size to table top autoclaves and other equipment while following safety procedures.
- Monitors, documents, and reports deviations from normal species specific environmental parameters such room temperature, humidity, lights, and air quality.
- Discovers and reports any facilities maintenance issues to the Facility Manager.
- Provides innovative and species specific environmental enrichment for laboratory animals-including non-human primates, under the direction of Veterinary Services and according to research needs.
- Monitors animal health and welfare daily and reports sick and dead animals to the responsible researcher and Veterinary Services. Provides treatments to laboratory animals as prescribed by Vet Services.
Receiving, Inventory, Census, and Other Record Keeping:
- Receives and maintains adequate inventory levels of cleaning materials, PPE supplies and bedding materials.
- Receives and maintains adequate levels of food, fruit, vegetables and other dietary supplements, and ensures adequate labeling of expiration dates consistent with the type and use of food.
- Prepares for the receiving of new animal shipments according to researcher's specifications.
- Receives new shipments of animals in LAR's electronic management software. Collects facility-wide animal census on a regular basis.
- Enters data accurately and timely into the electronic management systems, order and service request forms, husbandry logs, census sheets, vivarium calendar, and time reporting system.
- Provides receiving documents in a timely manner. Essential services staff performs jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations. Work attendance during scheduled or unscheduled work closures due to emergencies, events or other situations.
- Must have the ability to work weekends and holidays when scheduled by the supervisor.
Other Duties Assigned:
- Assists with transgenic rodent breeding colony management.
- Demonstrates ability to perform tissue sample collection, set up mating pairs, wean animals, and track data in various software applications.
- Cross trains and provides absentee support for other animal care technicians in other facilities.
- Rotates with other animal care technicians for week night, weekend and holiday coverage as needed.
- Exhibits a willingness to assume additional responsibilities and increase knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Essential services staff performs jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations. Work attendance during scheduled or unscheduled work closures due to emergencies, events or other situations. Must have the ability to work weekends and holidays when scheduled by the supervisor.
- High School diploma or GED with 1 to 3 years of experience.
- Willing and able to work safely with biological and chemical hazards.
- Basic knowledge of biology and behavior of laboratory animal species including non-human primates.
- Able to lift a minimum of fifty (50) lb.
- Stand or walk continuously up to 6 hours per day.
- Sit for up to 2 hours per day.
- Lift or carry up to 20 pounds frequently (up to 500 times per day) and up to 50 pounds occasionally (up to 100 times per day).
- Push or pull using forces up to 50 pounds frequently (34-66% of the work day), and using forces up to 100 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the work day).
- Use hands for simple grasping, pushing or pulling, and fine manipulations constantly (more than 500 per day).
- Kneel, bend, squat, and reach overhead. Lift overhead, or push or pull frequently (34-66% of the work day).
- Kneel, stand, and lie down, crawl or climb step tools or 6-foot stepladders occasionally (less than 33% of the work day).
- Lift up to 50 pounds in a range of motions from floor to shoulder height.
- Lift up to 20 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead.
- Work in a controlled laboratory environment under a variety of temperature and humidity conditions.
- Possess ability to maintain balance, a full range of body motions, and physical agility.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a laboratory animal resources team and ability to share husbandry knowledge with other animal care staff, students and new researchers.
- Proven ability to work independently and communicate well with different levels within the organization, and work well with a diverse team for goal consistent with mission of the department.
- Proficient knowledge of federal, state and local Animal Welfare legislation and sound judgment how to balance optimal animal care, research goals, and regulatory compliance.
- Ability to handle assignments and changing priorities as circumstances may dictate. Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate well person to person as well as via E-mail.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Applications including Outlook and other software applications used in animal research and compliance such as an electronic animal management system.
- Must achieve ALAT certification within the first year of employment and keep current through ongoing professional development.
- Ability to follow-up tasks from beginning to completion and carry out duties in accordance to supervisor deadlines and university policies.
- Preserve confidential information in accordance with University policies.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.