Are you a versatile communications professional, who's as comfortable quickly drafting an alert to users as you are collaborating to develop communications campaigns? The University of Colorado's UIS department is looking for an Communications Specialist to join a five-person Communications and Marketing team.
The Communications Specialist works with UIS to develop communications, alerts and website content about the IT services UIS provides to all four CU campuses and the system office. This position develops, implements and maintains the department's communication program. The Communications Specialist will be responsible for creating content for service alerts, emails, campaigns, internal CU employee publications, print collateral and other items. The position requires excellent people skills, versatility and a knack for finding new ways to tell engaging stories. This position is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Compose and edit articles for UIS newsletters, emails, service alerts and blog posts.
- Conduct interviews with stakeholders and business partners.
- Distribute messages via the RAVE alerts system and maintain distribution lists.
- Provide consultation on communications methods in conjunction with developing communication plans.
- Work on communications projects and deliverables as part of a project team.
- Maintain UIS department website, including writing content, building webpages and troubleshooting issues.
- Distribute communications materials via the SalesForce Marketing Cloud, CU employee intranet, Sharepoint, website and blogs.
- Prepare presentations and materials for meetings and events.
- Execute special tasks/projects and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, one should have:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required, including the ability to synthesize technical information in a clear, concise manner.
- Excellent people skills and ability build relationships across CU's four campuses.
- Creative thinking skills that allow you to devise new and out-of-the box ideas to deliver effective messages.
- The ability to generate story ideas for department newsletters and publications.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Diligent work ethic and desire to grow professionally.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Demonstrated knowledge of writing, editing, proofreading and tenets of journalism, including AP style.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and to work independently.
- Demonstrated knowledge of website content management systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of SalesForce Marketing Cloud or email marketing systems.
Who we are: System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary has been established at $55,000- $60,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Disability, Vision, Life and Wellness
- Retirement: 10% Employer Match
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Benefit
- ECO Pass
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field (education requirement may be substituted by professional experience on a year by year basis).
- Three (3) years professional experience in the communication field.
- Two (2) years in IT communications developing and implementing strategic communication.
- Working knowledge of graphic standards and branding.
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by August 24, 2017. However, this position is open until filled. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, list of references, and writing sample to your application as three separate documents. The writing sample should demonstrate a time when you took complex information and delivered it in a simplified way. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Communication
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 51000 - Employee Services
Posting Date: Aug 17, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: System HR
Posting Contact Email: SystemHR@cu.edu
Position Number: 00687923