Counselor Assistant - Customer Service
Counselor Assistant - Customer Service
Administrative Specialist III
Financial Aid - 164860
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., overtime as assigned
The Student Financial Aid & Scholarships (SFAS) department is committed to helping students achieve their educational goals by providing financial guidance and assistance within the guidelines of regulatory requirements. Through educational endeavors and student outreach, SFAS remains a vital contributor to UNT's enrollment success.
The Student Financial Aid and Scholarships (SFAS) department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Financial Aid Counselor Assistant to join our Customer Service team. This position will provide immediate and comprehensive service to customers in person, via telephone and e-mail.
The Counselor Assistant will be responsible for comprehending the financial aid and scholarship processes at UNT from application through disbursement. The Counselor Assistant will assist with evaluating students' eligibility for financial aid while adhering to Federal, State and Institutional regulatory requirements. Performing detailed technical responsibilities, preparing and conducting presentations, participating in outreach initiatives, taking inbound telephone calls, making outbound telephone calls, answering e-mail inquiries, performing rotational duties for special projects, and providing educational loan information are other requirements.
Additional Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Assist students with completing their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
* Complete Loan Entrance/Exit Counseling, and scholarship applications.
* Participate in day/night/weekend college fairs, orientations, and other events as needed to promote awareness of financial assistance.
* Provide accurate advising to prospective and current students/parents to ensure that student financial aid files are complete.
* Resolve general award issues by utilizing policy and procedures and making counselor referrals as necessary.
* Review financial aid recipients' academic performance for Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.
* Assist with the processing of withdrawals in accordance with all applicable laws, policies, and regulations.
* Serve as a liaison between students/parents and other university personnel and related federal and state agencies.
* Be accountable for follow-up communication with students and parents.
* Maintain knowledge of the SFAS Policy and Procedures Manual and keep abreast of information that impacts the functioning of the SFAS department through the reading of related literature and by attending and participating in meetings and conferences.
* Provide all core services related to the Eagle Student Services Center.
* Comply with all university policies, rules and regulations including attending work regularly and punctually.
* Manage routine offices tasks.
* Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a High School diploma or GED equivalent and three years of general office or clerical experience. Substitution of education for experience allowed. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Basic MS Office skills.
* Ability to problem-solve and make decisions.
* Ability to effectively communicate.
* Knowledge of policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned function.
* Skill in composing routine letters and preparing reports.
* Skill in recording and compiling material for reports.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Associates Degree and one year of office administration experience.
* Experience in student services, student affairs, counseling, advising, or related experience.
* Financial aid experience.
* Demonstrated strong writing skills.
* Have documented presentation involvement.
* Proficient in the operation of personal computers and be able to learn new software programs rapidly.
* Able to engage and communicate enthusiastically to diverse
populations in a positive, courteous, and professional manner.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting