Student Finance - 926500
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday-Friday, 8-5 w/ flex and overtime as needed
The University of North Texas System (UNT System) Student Accounting serves all campuses within the UNT System and is responsible for the billing and collection of tuition, fees and third-party charges while ensuring compliance with state and federal guidelines as well as UNT System policies. We also issue student ID cards, administer payment plans, process refunds and issue short-term loans to eligible students.
Student Accounting is part of the System Controller organization. The System Controller provides all accounting, reporting, and service focused operations for all University of North Texas System component institutions. The areas of responsibility include Campus Accounting & Reporting, Student Accounting, Accounts Payable, Payroll, centralized external and internal financial reporting, and external compliance related reporting.
This position is located on the UNT campus in Denton, Texas.
The Student Finance Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Cashier Lead to join our team.
The Cashier Lead performs moderately complex (journey-level) technical accounting support work. Receives and records cash and charge payments. Maintains and balances vault cash and daily cashier charge activity. Verifies daily, cashier cash transfers. Maintains electronic files necessary to generate daily reports. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Leads and guides the work of cashiers.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Receives and receipts a variety of payments and other cash and cash-related transactions; verifies and posts to appropriate accounts; issues receipts.
* Prepares daily cash bags for cashiers; maintains and balances vault cash and daily cashier charge activity.
* Prepares cash receipts for bank deposit; prepares daily cash reports and balances the cash drawer; reconciles cash, check, and credit card receipts daily, and investigates and resolves any out-of-balance problems.
* Verifies daily, cashier cash transfers.
* Assists individuals in the accurate application of their transactions, and when necessary, researches records on electronic and other available files to provide information regarding financial status.
* Maintains electronic files necessary to generate daily reports.
* Provides information to patrons regarding pertinent rules, policies, and procedures related to cash and cash-related transactions; directs patrons to proper offices, as appropriate, to seek resolution of problems beyond the information available to the cashier.
* Maintains confidentiality of university and student records.
* Projects currency and coin requirements and reorders as necessary.
* Receipts financial aid disbursements to students; calculates interest charges and reimbursable fees for application to individual records.
* Leads and guides the work of cashiers; answers questions and resolves problems.
* May answer telephones, set up accounts, post invoices, prepare routine billings, and file cashiering documents.
* Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess an Graduation from High School or GED equivalent and two years of general accounting or bookkeeping experience; or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training and experience. Substitution of education for experience allowed.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures affecting the maintenance of accounting records and automated accounting systems.
* Skill in the use of a personal computer and related office equipment.
* Ability to review work for accuracy, to accurately perform detailed numerical work, to make arithmetical computations, to prepare financial and accounting records, and to communicate effectively.
* Ability to calculate numbers, correct entries, and post to records
* Knowledge of cash management principles and/or procedures
* Ability to analyze and solve problems.
* Ability to lead and train staff and/or students.
* Ability to effectively communicate accounting information, policies, and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by the customer
* Account balancing skills
* Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information
* Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Experience with the PeopleSoft Campus Solutions module.
* Experience working with student accounts in higher education.
* Experience working in bank teller operations or equivalent.
* Ability to provide excellence customer service.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting