ASSISTANT DIRECTOR FOR PRECOLLEGE AND OUTREACH PROGRAMS;DIVERSITY AFFAIRS OFFICE
JOB NO.: 91808-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: ENGR/ACAD AFFRS/DIVERSITY AFFR
Categories: Engineering, Extension, Outreach, Public Engagement
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 91808-AS
Working Title: Assistant Director for Precollege and Outreach Programs;Diversity Affairs Office
Official Title: SR STUDENT SERV COORD(T25BN) or STUDENT SERVICES CORD(T25DN)
Hiring Department: A190400-COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING/ACAD AFFRS/DIVERSITY AFFR
Anticipated Begin Date: SEPTEMBER 29, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $48,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Bachelor's degree required, preferably in education, counseling, science or engineering, higher education administration or social sciences. Master's degree in similar disciplines preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
* Minimum three years relevant professional experience in a STEM educational or educational outreach setting.
* Demonstrated passion for and experience in working with diverse pre-college students.
* Understanding of STEM higher education and professions
* Passion for and ability to implement prototype and demonstration technology, and related curriculum, to promote student engagement and interest in engineering applications.
* Ability to relate positively to engineering faculty/instructors, undergraduates and prospective students.
* Demonstrated commitment to encouraging women and underrepresented groups to study and persist in engineering.
* Experience planning, implementing, and evaluating small and large scale events and programs.
* Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with diverse constituents, such as students, parents, university partners, alumni, faculty, staff, foundation and corporate partners.
* A high degree of cultural sensitivity and awareness in workings with students from first generation, underrepresented, low income, transfer, and other underrepresented groups.
* Excellent presentation skills, and oral/written communication skills, and organizational skills and detail oriented.
Preferred, demonstrated experience with:
* hiring, training and managing temporary and support staff across a variety of experience and skill levels.
* managing and directing pre-college outreach programs, particularly in higher education or university setting.
* developing science and engineering engagement and academic curriculum to a variety of audiences, particularly high school and middle school students.
* social media and development of contemporary, engaging print/electronic communications
The Diversity Affairs Office (DAO) in the College of Engineering (CoE) seeks an Assistant Director of Precollege and Outreach Programs. The mission of the DAO is to broaden participation in engineering, and specifically to recruit and retain underrepresented students in engineering. The office provides programs and services designed to enhance the cultural, educational and personal development of all students within the college. The DAO is seeking a professional who is committed to increasing the diversity of engineering through developing and executing recruitment programs for high-achieving pre-college students. For more information about the DAO and diversity initiatives in the College of Engineering, refer to www.diversity.engr.wisc.edu.
Instructions to applicants:
Please click on the "Apply Now" button to start the application process. To apply for this position, you will need to upload a cover letter and resume.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Aug 17 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: Sep 24 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time