Functional Title Assistant Director
Position Type Non-Tenure Stream
The Department of English at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro invites applications for an assistant director of the graduate program in creative writing, to begin January 1, 2018. If applying for this position, please reference "Assistant Director Position" in your letter of application.
Position: Creative writing administration with desirable teaching interests in publishing and creative writing.
The Assistant Director is a dual faculty/administrative appointment and the successful candidate will provide strong, collaborative leadership.
Reporting to the Director, the Assistant Director performs a wide range of administrative, organizational, and academic duties in this dual administrative/faculty role. In addition to direct oversight of the Visiting Writers Series, he/she works with the Director on marketing, publicity, admissions, budgeting, alumni relations, and the overall administration of the MFA Writing Program and its offices. He/she also collaborates with academic departments and programs, to present programming of interest to the university community and beyond.
We offer competitive salaries and benefit packages, a 2/1 teaching load for research-active faculty who contribute to the graduate program, and opportunities to develop research agendas, build cross-disciplinary collaborations, and teach in a department committed to equity, access, and excellence.
UNCG is home to one of the oldest MFA writing programs in the country, with a professionally active English department and flourishing graduate programs. We are especially proud of our diverse student body—including diverse racial/ethnic identifications, religious beliefs, and economic backgrounds—which is the most diverse of any of the 17 campuses in the UNC system. We seek to attract an equally diverse applicant pool for this position, including women and members of minority groups. An EEO/AA/M/F/D/V employer, we have a strong commitment to increasing faculty diversity. The city of Greensboro offers an affordable, superior quality of life, with numerous cultural and recreational opportunities.
- Master's degree
- Appropriate administrative experience and teaching credentials.
- MFA is the preferred degree.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including with media and on public platforms.
- Facility with online platforms (including Wordpress) and social media.
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Powerful work ethic and demonstrated stamina, with proven ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to network and build purposeful partnerships.
- Excellent diplomatic and interpersonal skills, including in creating and participating in collaborations.
- Experience developing, implementing, and/or administering conferences and virtual education programs a plus.
- A strong record of publication in the field of poetry or fiction writing is desirable.
Tenure Status Not on Track
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure full consideration, applications should be received by October 1, 2017. We will continue to accept and consider applications until the positions have been filled.
Applicants should submit all materials electronically (to apply, visit https://jobsearch.uncg.edu and click on "Faculty" and apply to position #1163), including a cover letter, a CV, a detailed description of their research program, up to three representative publications, a statement of teaching interests.
Applicants are asked to provide the names and email addresses of at least three (3) References, in the References section of the electronic application. These References will be solicited by the UNCG jobsearch system via email, and they will be asked to provide a confidential Letter of Reference/Recommendation on behalf of the applicant. This will occur as soon as the applicant successfully submits the application and receives a confirmation number from the UNCG jobsearch system. This is the applicant's only notification that the electronic references in the reference section are being notified when the application is submitted.
Recruitment Range Competitive
Org #-Department English - 12207
Job Open Date 08/17/2017
For Best Consideration Date 10/01/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? Yes
Time Limited Duration
18 months with possibility of renewal
Number of Months per Year 9
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Teaching Philosophy
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu