Job Title: Police Dispatcher
Job ID: 24210
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 8800, Range 1
Department: University Police Department
About the Position
The Police Dispatcher is an entry level, uniformed non-sworn, support position for the University Police Department. Under general supervision of the Records and Communications Manager or the watch commander, the Police Dispatcher will perform a variety of specialized support duties within the Police Communication Center. Support duties may include: communication’s dispatching and public counter duties; providing clerical, records and technical support services including operating a centralized computer-aided dispatch (CAD), 9-1-1 and other non-emergency phones, and monitoring campus alarms.
The Police Dispatcher is responsible for maintaining effective and accurate communications between campus law enforcement, the public and other allied agencies. The Police Dispatcher I records and dispatches routine and emergency information promptly, clearly and accurately. Regular use of judgment and discretion is necessary to set priorities, assess the importance of information and react quickly and effectively. The Police Dispatcher will perform a variety of specialized support duties within the Police Communications Center. The Police Dispatcher is required to work rotating shifts which includes nights, weekends and holidays. Overtime maybe required.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Receives emergency and routine requests for services from the campus community and from various electronic communications equipment, i.e. enhanced 911 and other telephone lines, radio transmissions, video display terminals, alarm enunciators, and in-person contacts from citizens in the University Police Department (UPD) lobby. Elicits and records pertinent and accurate information, and uses judgment and discretion to rapidly assess the nature and priority of information and the necessary response.
- Operates UPD and other emergency communications equipment to dispatch officers to calls for service, critical incidents and emergencies. Identifies locations where assistance is needed, makes rapid determinations as to availability and proximity of the nearest emergency personnel and equipment, and coordinates interagency communications with surrounding jurisdictions. Responsible for accurate data entry into the computer aided dispatch system.
- Operates police radio and data systems for the purposes of dispatching and communicating with police and other public safety resources.
- Provides support to other public safety and community service functions including parking and building access services.
- Monitors security and fire alarm systems, and coordinates responses.
- Assists campus visitors and provides customer service regarding police and public safety matters by phone or in person. May control and provide the release of official copies of crime reports, vehicle releases, property or other UPD matters.
- Utilizes dispatch and law enforcement systems and databases (both computerized and manual) to maintain department files and reports.
To apply, please visit: http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/careers/jobs and search for Job ID: 24210.
Equal Employment Statement:
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.