Part Time/ Temporary - ESL Literacy Coach
Posting Date August 16, 2017
Position Title Part Time/ Temporary - ESL Literacy Coach
Vacancy # N/A
Department Center of Pedagogy
Program Academic Affairs
Division Academic Affairs
Under the auspices of the Center of Pedagogy, the Teacher Education Advocacy Center (TEAC) employs the services of an ESL Literacy coach to provide undergraduate and graduate students within the College of Education and Human Services with reading, writing and/or ESL support to ensure the academic success of students in education and human services-related majors and programs of study. The ESL Literacy Coach will provide individual and/or small group assistance with term papers, essays, research projects and other writing assignments, as needed. The ESL Literacy Coach will be available by appointment. The Coach will also facilitate workshops and provide PRAXIS preparation when indicated. The Coach will compile and analyze data; and prepare reports as necessary. The Coach will also provide support to TEAC in the assessment and diagnosis of students' writing strengths, needs, and deficiencies.
The Coach's scope of work will focus on the following population of students: graduate students whose primary language is not English; students needing assistance with getting accepted to the Teacher Education Program, including provisional students and English Language Learners; students who need help with passing the PRAXIS I and II exams; and scholarship applicants and recipients.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Knowledge of instructional/tutoring practices related to developing literacy skills in a higher education environment with students preparing to become teachers
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Ability to meet deadlines and maintain organization when keeping appointments
- Ability to analyze and summarize data and write reports
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relations and work collaboratively with students, faculty and administration
- Ability to work in a diverse environment with students, faculty and staff
- Teaching experience preferred
Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Communication, ESL, Education or related field.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Send resume and cover letter to:
Dr. Carolina E. Gonzlez
Director, Teacher Education Advocacy Center (TEAC)
Center of Pedagogy
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION