8AM - 5PM
$44,200 - $87,200
Under general direction of the Financial & Administrative Officer of the Multidisciplinary Financial & Administrative Unit (MDU) and the general supervision of the Student Affairs Manager, provide fundamental academic advising to all majors and minors within the MDU Student Affairs Center. Duties include advising, recruitment and outreach; graduation degree checks, and assisting in program evaluation. Responsible for the interpretation and implementation of policies and procedures and serve in a confidential advisory capacity to develop short-term and long-term goals.
Ability to effectively use current software applications such as MS Word, Excel, internet, email, web-based software applications. Ability to learn student and new on-line programs.
Thorough knowledge of advising and counseling techniques, knowledge of multiple majors, colleges, & schools.
Writing skills to independently compose letters, memos, reports, and other written communication for a variety of audiences, using correct spelling, grammar, and composition skills.
Ability and willingness to maintain a positive attitude and contribute as an individual and as a team member to achieve the goals and mission of the department.
Ability to interact and communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with students, faculty, professional staff, campus administrators, and personnel in various campus departments and maintain cooperative working relationships.
Skills in judgment and decision-making, problem solving.
Thorough knowledge of college/school policies, procedures, and requirements.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including tact, diplomacy, adaptability, and skills in recognizing sensitive situations with people of a diverse range of cultural, social, educational, and religious backgrounds
Demonstrated experience working with students in an academic environment and/or post-secondary degree-granting institutions. Experience with student academic program administration. Knowledge of higher education institutional policies and procedures governing graduate student admissions, acceptable academic progress, and student records.
Ability to multi-task.
Abilities in problem identification, reasoning, ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
Skill in working independently and following through with minimal direction. Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
Ability to interpret and effectively articulate complex policies and procedures, both orally and in writing. Skill in independently researching questions and making appropriate contacts for problem solving. Strong organizational skills to coordinate and prioritize multiple and complex projects, maintaining strict attention to deta
Experience supporting an undergraduate program in a university environment. Knowledge of University of California policies and procedures. Ability to effectively extract, compile, analyze, and present pertinent data. Demonstrated experience using on-line student systems.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview