Educational Talent Search (METS) Academic Advisor
About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, we've been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu.
Reports to: METS Project Director
Supervises: Student Advisors (2-4)
Summary of Position:
The TRiO Program at Mills College has two components: Educational Talent Search (METS) and Upward Bound (UB). Both components are funded by the U.S. Department of Education.
Mills Educational Talent Search (METS) assists low-income, first generation, middle school and high school students in the City of Oakland by disseminating information on the college preparation process. METS staff is assigned to target high schools in the Oakland community and provides guidance in course selection, visits to local colleges, and the college application/financial aid process. Participants not enrolled in target schools attend workshops and advising sessions on the Mills College campus.
Essential Job Functions:
- Conduct outreach to target high schools, middle schools and community agencies by traveling to Oakland target schools on a daily basis
- Assist with planning, preparation, implementation of program events/activities
- Provide one-on-one or group academic and advising services to students at target schools
- Identify and recruit eligible applicants. Assess and determine participants' educational needs and academic potential
- Assist in the selection and supervision of Program Assistants
- Develop and conduct career exploration, academic preparation, and personal development workshops
- Assist participants in completing applications for admission to post-secondary institutions, as well as assistance with financial aid and scholarships
- Provide administrative assistance as needed; including scheduling college representative visits and maintaining library of college information for students
- Assist with the input of data in the Microsoft Access database and the preparation of data and information for Talent Search Annual Performance Reports (APR)
- Assist with maintaining accurate and up-to-date participants' files
- Assist and attend program orientations, trainings, field trips, monthly seminars, and meetings
- Responsible for planning and conducting fundraising projects and events
- Ability to attend some weekend and evening events.
- Perform related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- College admission process, financial aid, and other topics associated with pursuing a higher education and promoting a college-going culture.
- U.S. Department of Education TRiO Programs or similar programs helpful.
- Demonstrated computer skills and proficient knowledge of all applications in the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience and ability to effectively work with students with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds similar to METS Program participants.
- Mission-driven and passionate about programs designed to identify and provide services for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Ability to coordinate and facilitate academic support programs including advising, workshops, field trips, assessment, follow-up and resource referral.
- Ability to demonstrate effective teaching and counseling skills.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in education, social work, psychology, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have experience working with middle or high school youth in similar academic/educational outreach program.
- Incumbent will be located in busy areas at target school sites and at the Mills College TRIO Office.
- Work involves traveling to and from Mills College and target school sites in Oakland.
- Must have a valid California driver's license, safe driving record, current automobile insurance, and use of personal car.
- Requires passing fingerprinting and a background check.
- This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
To apply, please submit the following at http://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=88229
- Cover letter and
- Contact information for three references.