Part-time Reference Assistant
Thank you for considering Curry College in your search.
About Curry College:
Founded in 1879, Curry College is a private, four-year, liberal arts-based institution located on a wooded 131-acre campus in Milton, MA just seven miles from downtown Boston. Accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), Curry College offers 24 undergraduate majors, over 60 minors and concentrations, as well as four graduate programs.
Curry College is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in every aspect of its operations. The College values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty and staff from a variety of backgrounds. Curry College is an equal opportunity employer that encourages diversity in the workplace.
Under the direction and supervision of the Head Reference Librarian, the part-time Reference Assistant will engage in a variety of library projects dependent on library needs, provide service to a vibrant college community, and become a valued member of a professional library team. Project opportunities may include content creation, software/technology review, collection development, assessment, and more. The Reference Assistant will also receive training in a number of current academic technology tools, which may include (dependent on library needs), LibGuides, LibAnswers, LibChat, LibInsight, Panopto, BlackBoard, a very wide variety of research databases and more. The service aspect of this position includes in-person and virtual reference desk service to a diverse college campus community and may also include the opportunity to instruct (or assist in the instruction of) information literacy courses individually or as part of a team. This position is a part-time position, working approximately 15 hours per week and is non-benefit status.
Library Project Participation
- Project ownership and participation may include the following: Content creation and maintenance (such as LibGuides or tutorials), interlibrary loan, statistics gathering, iPAD maintenance, work with special collections including a curriculum library, archive work, technology comparison and assessment, work with statistics, collection development, and other duties as assigned.
Library Public Service
- Assist members of the Curry community with research at the reference desk.
- Assist members of the Curry community via email, over the phone, and instant messaging.
- Provide training in the use of library resources to members of the Curry community. This includes but is not limited to databases, library catalog, and print materials.
- Enter reference statistics into the library database (LibInsight).
- Possible instruction duties in an individual or team dynamic.
- Participate in library tours and events.
- MLS or currently enrolled in an MLS program from an ALA accredited institution.
- Excellent research abilities; excellent interpersonal and organizational skills to effectively deal with a variety of individuals; ability to work independently.
- Proficient computing skills and efficiency utilizing computing applications supported by the college (for example, Microsoft Office Suite).
- Experience with an ExLibris integrated system a plus.
- Knowledge of EBSCO databases is desired.
- Familiarity with learning management systems such as Blackboard, Panopto, LibGuides, and related applications is desired.
At the College’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the College, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks.
Please apply online at: http://www.curry.edu/about-curry/employment/job-opportunities.html for consideration. Interested Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three professional references including complete contact information and professional titles.