Vice President of Marketing and Communications
Vice President of Marketing and Communications
Emory & Henry College (www.ehc.edu) is accepting nominations and applications for the position of Vice President of Marketing and Communications. Reporting to the Provost, and with the support of the President, the Vice President will serve as a member of the President's Executive Council and be responsible for establishing and sustaining a campus-wide marketing campaign in a challenging and rapidly changing competitive environment. The Vice President will lead the effort to ensure an effective communication strategy is designed and implemented to internal and external audiences regarding the institutional message and provide direct marketing support to the Advancement Department and the Office of Enrollment Management. The ideal candidate combines experience in brand management and strategic planning; media relations; public affairs/stakeholder relations; internal and external communications; advertising; digital marketing; and new media. The Vice President of Marketing and Communications will implement comprehensive, cohesive, and effective communications strategies to create a culture of philanthropy and to increase engagement with the College. These communication strategies support the strategic and operational goals of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations and the E&H College community.
The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to the liberal arts and will play a significant role in setting and implementing Emory & Henry's academic, strategic, and institutional goals. The College seeks an experienced, forward-thinking leader committed to student success, inspirational leadership, effective campus-wide diversity and collaboration to fulfill the mission of the College and its strategic priorities.
- Build, lead, and inspire a highly productive and professional marketing and communications team.
- Establish and manage an effective marketing and communications budge
- Articulate a consensus-based College brand identity and cultivate consistent, widespread stakeholder ownership and personal expressions of them.
- Collaborate with admissions, advancement, alumni, and academic departments to develop annual marketing plans integrating advertising, marketing, web, social media, print and digital collateral, public and media relations, one-to-one, and external and internal communication
- Collaborate with administrators, faculty, and staff to set and achieve goals that are consistent with institutional priorities and the College's brand positi
- Maintain a strong internal and public presence to advance the College brand at high-profile events, presentations, and personal appearances.
- Design and disseminate a communications plan to further engage the E&H community (faculty, staff, students, parents, alumni, donors and friends) to create a culture of philanthropy.
- Ensure communications standards and expectations are shared and implemented across the department and encourage colleagues to engage in advance planning and coordinated review for communications needs.
- Coordinate a comprehensive communications calendar that includes emails, newsletters, print, social media and web communications thoughtfully planned and executed throughout the department.
- Create and sustain supportive and collaborative partnerships with the College's Office of Communications as well as colleague organizations on campus.
- Spearhead efforts to establish and grow national brand recognition for E&H, advancing admissions and fundraising goals.
- Manage internal and external communications (with many diverse stakeholder groups ranging from students, faculty, and alumni to government officials and donors).
- Evaluate effectiveness of strategies and develop and maintain a system for tracking impact.
Required qualifications, skills and accomplishments:
- Minimum of a Masters degree in marketing, communications, public relations, or a related fie
- 7+ years' experience in strategic communications, public relations, media relations, marketing or related areas, preferably within higher education.
- Exceptional communication (written and verbal) skills, personal presentation, and principled judgment.
- Proven ability to utilize research-driven strategies and best practices in communications, with a comprehensive understanding of marketing and communications trends, challenges, opportunities, and issues affecting higher education.
- Experience engaging and managing diverse stakeholder groups.
- Familiarity with tracking systems and a high degree of comfort using technology to communicate and share information.
- The ability to demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the mission and core values of Emory & Henry College.
About Emory & Henry College
In the 180 years since its founding in 1836, the College has garnered a reputation for being a strong academic institution with a long history of service and engagement to the region and the world. Emory & Henry enrolls 1,024 undergraduate students and 200 students in the College's graduate and professional programs. Students also benefit from a wide range of practical experiences beyond the classroom. Emory & Henry is fortunate to benefit from the support of ardent alumni and other stakeholders who care deeply for the institution.
Located in the Virginia Highlands, the Emory & Henry central campus encompasses 168 pristine acres and is surrounded by an additional 167 undeveloped acres and the village of Emory. The campus is noted for its beauty as well as its architectural distinction. The entire central campus is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Register of Historic Landmarks.
The Appalachian Center for Civic Life, which houses one of the first and largest Bonner Scholars Programs in the country, is recognized as a national leader in service-learning and civic engagement. Recent initiatives at the College include an Honors program, the Center for Inclusion & Diversity, to reinforce our commitment to diverse populations on our campus, an International Education program, and Ampersand, an initiative to encourage and support integrative, project-based learning across the curriculum and in co-curricular contexts. For decades, the College has hosted an Appalachian Literary Festival which has drawn attention to writers from the region. These initiatives are supported by a dedicated faculty in the Visual and Performing Arts, Humanities, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Education, and School of Health Sciences. Over the last twenty-seven years, our faculty have been recognized with seventeen major state and national awards for teaching. When adjusted for the size of the student population, this record for teaching awards is the best among all Virginia colleges and universities.
Emory & Henry College is being assisted by the partners of Hyatt - Fennell. Nominations and application materials should be submitted via email to Cheryl Hyatt at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications include a letter of interest, a current résumé/cv, and contact information for five professional references, submitted in separate documents. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should be submitted prior to September 22, 2017 to receive full consideration. All applications and nominations will be considered highly confidential.
Emory & Henry College is an equal opportunity provider and employer, supports excellence through diversity, and encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups.