Staff Research Associate 1
$43,704 - $52,200
The purpose of this position is to sample Asian citrus psyllid populations every two weeks, year round, in 40-50 southern California grower orchards to determine the impact of grower practices on those populations. The SRA I works independently and has responsibility for mapping sites, psyllid and plant data collection, collecting psyllids for CLas testing, monitoring natural enemies, interacting with growers and inputting data into excel files.
- Ability to conduct field work independently
- Ability to see small insects in the field with the aid of a lens
- Ability to recognize and monitor stages of citrus arthropod pest populations
- Ability to endure long hours collecting data in extremes of temperature
- Ability to utilize Excel to manage data input for each site
- Skills in communication to provide PI and other personnel with information about the project
- Ability to work effectively with grower cooperators to obtain information about management practices such as pesticide treatments, harvest dates, pruning dates, while maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to use GPS to map site locations
- Knowledge of safe practices and laws and regulations pertaining to pesticide use.
-Ability to observe problems relating to the research and make adaptive changes
- QAC, QAL or PCA license
- Familiarity with Asian citrus psyllid and its natural enemies
- Knowledge of insecticides used in citrus production
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview