Department Chair of Pharmaceutical Sciences
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION SPECIFICATIONS
JOB TITLE: Pharmaceutical Sciences Department Chair for College of Pharmacy
SUPERVISOR: Dean for the College of Pharmacy
EFFORT: 1.0 FTE, full time, exempt ($115,000-$125,000 DOE)
Obligations of the Department Chair The information provided below is a general description of the Department Chair’s responsibilities; it is not intended to provide an all-inclusive list of responsibilities.
Hours: The Department Chair must be a full-time exempt employee. The Department Chair will also hold a faculty appointment at the Associate Professor level in the academic department for which he or she serves as Chair.
Teaching Load: The Department Chair will be expected to contribute to the teaching load of the Department in which he/she holds an appointment. The amount of teaching will be negotiated annually with the Dean.
Responsibilities: Department Chairmen serve at the discretion of the Dean and carry out the responsibilities of the academic department including, but not restricted to:
- Providing leadership and governance to all faculty and staff appointed to the department.
- Recommending academic appointment and recruitment of faculty, composed of members from the departments.
- Assigning teaching responsibilities to optimally deliver the professional curriculum.
- Providing opportunity for and assisting each member of the faculty to achieve their optimal professional development in teaching, scholarly activity, and professional service.
- Conducting annual and evaluations of departmental faculty and staff as required by CNUCOP policy, and making recommendations pertaining to salary adjustments and personnel actions to the Dean.
- Reviewing the departmental pool of applicants for promotion and formulate recommendations for academic promotion to the Faculty Academic Rank and Promotion Committee in the College.
- Providing mid-term promotion review and support to faculty planning to apply for promotion.
- Managing the departmental budget as directed by the Dean in accordance with CNUCOP policies.
- Department Chairmen may be assisted in his/her responsibilities by other faculty members appointed to serve as vice chair, program directors or coordinators or in other specific administrative functions. Such appointments are through approval by and action of the Dean and will be limited as described in the Bylaws of California Northstate University.
- In performing these duties, the chair is expected to seek the advice of faculty colleagues and COP administrators in a systematic way, and to provide for the conduct of department affairs in an orderly fashion through department meetings and the appointment of appropriate committees.
- The appointee should be receptive to questions, complaints, and suggestions from members of the department, and from students, and should take appropriate action on them.
- To Schedule and recommend to the Dean sabbatical leaves and other leaves of absence for member of the departments.
- To be responsible for departmental observance of proper health and safety regulations per California Northstate University and CNUCOP health and safety policies.
- To maintain records and prepare reports in accord with University procedures.
- To report any failure of a faculty or staff member to carry out responsibilities and to recommend and very, as appropriate, disciplinary action.
- Develops and maintains an active research program.
- Liaises with departmental faculty and other constituencies.
- Collaborates with programmatic assessment and participates in all accreditation and regulatory processes.
- Performs other duties as requested by the Dean.
Criteria for Appointment:
* Outstandingscholarlyand/orprofessional t.
* Abilitytotheresourcesofthedepartment,includingfacultyand staff,physicalfacilitiesandbudgetinaccordwithity policies and procedures.
* Abilitytofosterprivateandgrantfundedsupporttothecollege California
* Although service as chair is at the pleasure of the Dean, a chair normally serves for a period of three years.
* A chair may be continued beyond three years of service only after a mandatory review of the appointee’s service and a report to the President by the Dean.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. For full consideration, candidates should provide curriculum vitae with at least three references. All candidates are asked to provide a cover letter, articulating how their knowledge, experience, and beliefs have prepared them to function in support of California Northstate University's vision and mission statements.
Please submit your cover letter, curriculum vitae, list of references, and any additional information to the HR Department. Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until positions are filled.California Northstate is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. For inquiries, please contact us by email or telephone: (916) 686-7400.
More searches like this
- Other Executive Administration jobs in Health & Medical
- Other Executive Administration jobs in Other Health & Medical Faculty Jobs
- Other Executive Administration jobs in Professional Fields
- Other Executive Administration jobs in Other Faculty Jobs in Professional Fields
- Other Executive Administration jobs in Science & Technology