Head Coach (Women''''''''s Basketball)
Community College of Philadelphia
The head coach is responsible for the overall development and advancement of a competitive athletic program, in consultation with the Director of Athletics, demonstrating high moral and ethical behavior and good sportsmanship. In developing athletes, the head coach must recognize the academic needs of the student as primary and athletic achievement as secondary and celebrate both excellence in the classroom and on the field of play. The head coach must operate within budget to meet team needs and enforce rules pertaining to the College, student conduct, and governing rules and regulations.
• Assist the Director with the recruitment and selection of assistant coach(es).
• Recruit student athletes, which includes scouting and provide assistance with the College's enrollment process.
• Coordinate tryout and selection process of prospective student athletes.
• Schedule practices, pre-season and out-of-conference competitions, with complete schedule submitted to the Director prior to the beginning of the season.
• Submit complete team roster with required supporting documentation at least two weeks prior to the first event of the season; obtain approval from the Director for any additional students before granting permission to participate.
• In collaboration with the Equipment Manager, distribute and collect all team uniforms and equipment in a timely fashion.
• Coordinate fitness center demonstrations and off-season training for all team members in collaboration with the Fitness Center Coordinator.
• Direct physical conditioning of players to achieve maximum athletic performance and provide instruction on the techniques of the game/event.
• Determine game strategies by evaluating the College's team and opposing teams' capabilities before and during competition.
• Keep current records and statistics; submitting written results and/or statistical sheets to the Athletic department in a timely fashion.
• In coordination with the Director and Marketing and Government Relations, report contest results to the local media in a timely fashion.
• Coordinate athlete recognition efforts including athlete of the week, athlete of the month, and most valuable player of the year.
• Monitor academic progress and personal development of student athletes providing support, as needed, to encourage academic success.
• Collaborate with office staff in the coordination of team travel arrangements.
• Assist in the coordination and execution of "game day" contracts.
• Maintain eligibility requirements.
• Attend all coaches' meetings in addition to special meetings as directed by the Director.
• Enforce all policies, procedures, rules, and regulations that govern the College.
• Ensure compliance with all NJCAA rules and regulations.
• Conduct team surveys and submit written assessments within 30 days after the completion of the season.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree required. Any and all degree(s) must be from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning.
• A minimum of one (1) year of experience as a Head Coach in basketball at the high school level in required.
• Valid driver's license required.
• Knowledge of NCAA/NAIA/NJCAA rules and regulations as they pertain to student athletes.
• Strong knowledge of effective coaching practices.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively recruit athletic talent is required.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated management skills and knowledge of supervision and management practices.
• Ability to maintain sensitivity, understanding and respect for a diverse academic environment inclusive of students, faculty and staff of varying social economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds required.
• Previous experience as a college level basketball Coach is preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
*Interested persons should complete an online application.
*Cover letter of interest and resume REQUIRED.
*Names and contact information of 3 professional references OPTIONAL.
Review of applications will commence on July 10, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Equal Access Employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups.
Salary Grade or Rank
Salary commensurate with relevant work experience
Job Posting Open Date
Type of Position
Administrator - Temp
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about Community College of Philadelphia?
- The Chronicle
- Veterans Job Fair
- Professional & Technology Diversity Career Fair
- AL DIA - Diversity Career Fair
- Community College of Philadelphia Website
- * If your answer to the above question is Other, please note the source below. If this question does not apply to you, enter N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- No Response
- High School/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- * Do you have knowledge of NCAA/NAIA/NJCAA rules and regulations as they pertain to student athletes?
- * Do you possess a current, valid driver's license?
- * Do you have a minimum of one (1) year of experience as a Head Coach in basketball at the high school level?
- * Do you have previous experience as a college level basketball Coach?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application