Director, Sewanee School of Letters
The University of the South seeks applications for a Director of the Sewanee School of Letters, a residential summer program offering the M.A. in English and M.F.A. in Creative Writing.
The Director supervises and is responsible for all aspects of the Sewanee School of Letters (SSL) and directly shapes the academic content of the program. The Director of the SSL will be in residence during the two months around the 6-week program. During the rest of the year, and in a part-time capacity, the Director will be expected to communicate on a regular basis with the on-campus administrative coordinator and as needed with faculty and students. As well, periodic visits to campus during the year will be necessary. Information about about the SSL is available at http://letters.sewanee.edu/.
- Recruits, hires, and supervises all faculty who teach in the SSL.
- Contributes to and approves plans for advertising the program and recruiting students.
- Makes final admission decisions for the program.
- Determines schedule of courses, both in the short term (immediate summer) and the long term (planning for years in advance).
- Serves as academic advisor to all students in the program.
- Has full responsibility for planning, forecasting, approving, and balancing budget; submits budget to the Dean of the College as per standard process.
- Supervises the administrative coordinator of the SSL.
- Chairs the School of Letters Committee, which oversees the program.
- As necessary, assumes responsibility in disciplinary cases involving students or faculty, and therefore is ultimately responsible for the program's budget.
- At discretion, teaches a course within the SSL.
As the Director is responsible for both the M.A. in English and American Literature and the M.F.A. in Creative Writing, a Ph.D. or M.F.A., or significant experience in creative writing, is required. The successful candidate will be an active scholar or creative writer with teaching and administrative experience and a strong record of publication. Preference will given to candidates with demonstrated national reputation, with the expectation of developing a program of increasing prominence.
A complete application consists of a detailed letter of interest and a curriculum vitae. Applications must be submitted through the application portal at https://jobs.sewanee.edu/postings/2271. Questions about the position may be submitted to the search committee at email@example.com. Applications received by September 30, 2017, will receive full consideration.
The University of the South comprises a well-regarded College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and a distinguished School of Theology. It is an institution of the Episcopal Church that welcomes individuals of all backgrounds. The University is located on a striking, 13,000-acre campus on Tennessee's Cumberland Plateau.
The University of the South is an equal opportunity educational institution that is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive campus environment.
Eligibility for employment is contingent upon successful prescreening.