University of Colorado - Office of Laboratory Animal Resources
The Office of Laboratory Animal Resources (OLAR) provides routine and specialized care for a wide variety of species of large and small laboratory animals, which are used by scientists for biomedical research and education in the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Nursing at the University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus (CU Denver). The Clinical Laboratory Animal Veterinarian provides clinical and administrative veterinary support to the CU Denver animal care and use program through the Office of Laboratory Animal Resources. OLAR is the administrative arm of the CU Denver animal care and use program with specific responsibility for regulatory requirements, veterinary oversight of animal care, provision for training needs in appropriate animal care and use, IACUC support, and the organizational point of contact for extra-mural animal related interactions (AAALAC, USDA, OLAW, public, etc.). The individual serving in this position works with the other OLAR team members to assure regulatory compliance for the use of animals in biomedical research at CU Denver.
The Clinical Laboratory Animal Veterinarian responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide clinical veterinary support to all species housed in OLAR by following all applicable laws and regulations to include those from the USDA, NIH/OLAW, AAALAC, CU Denver, DEA, and any other relevant regulatory agency.
- Serve as a veterinary member or alternate member of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee including protocol review, program review, facility inspections, and any other relevant duties.
- Assist with the implementation and oversight of the CU Denver animal care program.
- Provide consultation and instruction to investigators and staff in animal care and use and assist with training of research and OLAR staff training.
- Work collaboratively with research laboratories in model development, troubleshooting research projects and with research projects.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the OLAR team to ensure compliance with federal, state, local, and University regulations, guidelines and policies.
- Provide weekend and holiday veterinary on-call coverage on a rotational basis with the other members of the veterinary staff.
- May serve as a veterinary member of the Institutional Biosafety Committee
- May lead and train staff performing related work
- Aids in assuring regulatory compliance for use of animals in biomedical research at UC Denver.
- Holds a position as a faculty member in the Department of Pathology and fulfills all responsibilities required of the School of Medicine to maintain faculty status.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Applications are accepted electronically ONLY, refer to requisition 10513.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Excellent interpersonal skills, customer service, written communication, verbal communication, organizational skills, attention to detail, general office equipment, supervisory, problem solving, time management, computer and basic mathematical skills
Knowledge of laws, regulations, and policies related to animals in biomedical research. Knowledge of clinical operations and procedures, animal husbandry requirements, methods, and techniques, ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to professional personnel in area of expertise, knowledge of animal surgical techniques. Ability to assess and treat medical conditions in a wide variety of animals. Ability to establish and maintain effective collaborations and working relationships with a variety of persons, internal and external to the Institution.
- Knowledge of animal surgical techniques.
- Ability to assess and treat medical conditions in a wide variety of animals.
Ability to work effectively under general direction or guidelines with minimal supervision or instruction.
- D.V.M. (or equivalent) from an AVMA - Accredited School of Veterinary Medicine.
- License to practice in at least one state within the U.S., Colorado preferred
- ACLAM board eligible or board certification preferred
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applicants who have applied by midnight on September 17, 2017 will have their resumes reviewed in the first round.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID:
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20388 - CSA-VCR OLAR CLAC Operations
Posting Date: Aug 14, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Maria Montero
Posting Contact Email: Maria.Montero@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00736485