Director of Teacher Education
The College of Education at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) invites applications for the University Staff position of Director of Teacher Education, Licensure Programs, and Field Experience. We are seeking applicants who have a strong interest in innovative and collaborative approaches to teacher education, especially school/university partnerships that leverage technology to enhance access, with significant experience in directing college or university teacher education programs.
Examples of Work Performed
• Coordination of all field experience placements for educator preparation across UCCS, and for other programs within the College of Education requiring clinical experiences
• Work with faculty in building a cohesive consolidated system for all educator preparation pathways at UCCS
• Maintain a database for tracking placements, including fieldwork sites, site supervisors and clinical teachers; ensuring diverse experiences and ensuring that candidates meet number of required hours
• Maintain regular contact with supervisors of field experience and trouble-shooting administrative or placement issues with students and faculty
• Visit schools and agencies to negotiate new field or service learning sites, coordinate volunteer and pre-field placement opportunities, and sustain and develop new partnerships for CIE professional development outreach for K-12 schools
• Hire site supervisors. Collaborate with program coordinators to facilitate site supervisor meetings
• Provide orientation and professional development for new and returning site supervisors
• Oversee the administration of formal teacher performance assessments, observational tools, and student surveys; collecting data and analyzing results in conjunction with departments, the College of Education Assessment and Academic Quality Improvement standing committee, the dean's office and the coordinator of accreditation.
• In collaboration with program coordinators and the coordinator of accreditation, track program completers, provide analysis of findings to department chairs, dean, campus, and advisory board
• Work with program coordinators, the standing committee on assessment and academic quality improvement, the dean's office, and the coordinator of accreditation to standardize assessment instruments, timelines and processes across programs
• Work with departments to organize orientation and graduation celebration events
• Ensure programs assess candidate dispositions at multiple points during program enrollment
• Serve as the primary liaison between COE and the CO Departments of Education and Higher Education. Serve as the primary point of contact between COE and district and community partners in determining placements, formalizing placements contracts, assuring legal approval of documents, and addressing internship concerns
• Work closely with the accreditation coordinator in collecting and analyzing data and disseminating findings to appropriate consumers
• Work with program coordinators to ensure currency and accuracy in program handbooks on an annual basis, assist with revisions
• Ensure site supervisors meet program specific qualifications for their roles
• Maintain a database of fieldwork sites, site supervisors and clinical teachers, sustaining regular contact with supervisors of field experience and trouble-shooting administrative or placement issues with students and faculty, working with faculty on student assessment, managing related paperwork and maintaining electronic files.
• Visit schools and agencies to negotiate new field or service learning sites, coordinating volunteer and pre-field placement opportunities, and sustaining and developing new partnerships for COE professional development outreach for K-12 schools. The Director works closely with CDE, CDHE, and other universities in ensuring adherence to licensure regulations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Applicant must understand databases, assessment, and curriculum design and alignment. Competence in tracking several projects simultaneously is essential. Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and the ability to build positive relationships with schools and the community will be critical assets.
For the purposes of FLSA, this position has been determined to be exempt from (not eligible for) overtime under FLSA.
Salary Range: $70,000.00 - $75,000.00
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- Applicants must have a master's degree in education from a regionally accredited institution.
- A minimum of five years working in the field of teacher preparation.
- A minimum of 2 years teaching in a P-12 classroom or setting.
- And evidence of grounding in best practices and inclusiveness related to teacher education.
In addition to the requirements above, preferred candidates will possess a terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution; administrative experience, experience using technology to enhance educational experiences for students pursuing teacher preparation such as video coaching. Candidates must also possess strong communication skills to broadly engage in a variety of constituents both within and outside of the University and to serve as an advocate for the College of Education.
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted by October 15, 2017 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s), Statement of Teaching Philosophy
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40036 - College of Education
Posting Date: Aug 14, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sylvia Mendez
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00736917