Lab Assistant 2
Lab Assistant 2
Job Number: 75969
Laboratory Assistant II JCC 5794/Range A16 50% FTE, Non-Exempt Continuing Job Series P40 School of Engineering, Bioengineering The Fischbach lab seeks an experience lab assistant whose responsibilities will include dishwashing, media/buffer prep, and human cell culture. Because the Fischbach lab works with >100 different strains of bacteria, the individual will be responsible for preparing several different liquid and solid medias. The individual will also be required to perform several cell culture tasks including, but not limited to: maintaining human cell lines, testing for mycoplasma, purifying T- and B-cells from human blood, and confirming incompetency of viruses prepared in the lab. Additional responsibilities will include making stock solutions, buffers, keeping inventory of supplies, and re-ordering supplies. Depending on need, this position may support other labs and/or increase in FTE. Website: https://bioengineering.stanford.edu/ Job Purpose Responsibilities: Laboratory Assistant IIs perform more complex laboratory support tasks and/or have charge of laboratory equipment and supplies of limited variety of complexity. At this level, employees work independently on some duties and receive supervision in the performance of their more demanding functions. Characteristic Duties:
- Make complex media, reagents, etc., requiring a series of laboratory operations, carrying out the series without intermediate instruction.
- Calculate and plot graphs from data.
- Maintain stock control and inventory of laboratory supplies and equipment, including keeping records, recording, tracking down missing items, etc.
- Perform routine equipment servicing, either performing work or contacting appropriate outside contractor; keep service records.
- May give brief orientation talks to students concerning location of equipment in the laboratory, etc.
- May train, oversee or coordinate the work of lower-level employees; when such supervision involves two or more employees, a position may then be classified at the II level even though the remainder of the duties are at the Laboratory Assistant I level.
- Prepare buffers and antibiotic stock solutions
- Purifying T and B cells from human blood
- Test for mycoplasma in cell lines
- Purify DNA on multiple scales
- Confirm incompetency of viruses used in tissue culture
- Will work within a lab, and have exposure to blood and other chemical substances.
Applicants are required to upload a resume and a cover letter to be considered.About Stanford University
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Supporting that mission is a staff of more than 10,000 which is rooted in a culture of excellence and values innovation, collaboration, and life-long learning. To foster the talents and aspirations of our staff, Stanford offers career development programs, competitive pay that reflects market trends and benefits that increase financial stability to promote healthy and fulfilling lives. An award-winning employer, Stanford offers an exceptional setting for professionals looking to advance their careers.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to recruiting and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Thank you for your interest!
Location: School of Engineering
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.