Legal Counsel and Labor Relations Director
Legal Counsel and Labor Relations Director (Office of Legal Affairs)
Job ID: 17171
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Reporting to the Special Counsel to the President/Dean of Faculty and Staff Relations, the Legal
Counsel and Labor Relations Director will provide professional in-house legal advice, representation, and other legal and labor relation duties.
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Develop a thorough understanding of labor agreements, rules, and policies of the City University of New York (i.e. PSC/ CUNY CBA, White Collar Contract, Blue Collar Contract, CUNY's Rules and Regulations, New York State Civil Service Laws, etc), and apply CUNY regulations appropriately by providing Deans, Vice Presidents, and Department Heads with guidance and mentorship.
- Educate senior leadership on various human resources and labor relations policies and procedures.
- Represent the college at hearings and arbitrations as the hearing officer, and oversee the prompt completion of confidential staff investigations regarding instances of misconduct, incompetence, or other serious violations.
- Research sensitive college-wide HR issues; draft and recommend policy/procedural changes to the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources for implementation.
- Negotiate and draft of contracts, licenses, releases and other legal documents.
- Work with attorneys in CUNY Office of the General Counsel and Office of Labor Relations in connection with litigation and arbitration including matters relating to students, employees, and third parties.
- Provide legal counsel with respect to compliance with legal requirements, college and university policies and procedures, and contractual obligations.
- Provide legal advice regarding the development and implementation of college policies, procedures and transactions.
- Review and respond to subpoenas and other requests for college, employee, and student records.
- Assist with investigations, make recommendations as warranted.
J.D. and five years' related experience required. Membership in New York State Bar required. Large law firm experience (minimum of 3 years) and a minimum of TWO years experience in higher education setting preferred. Litigation background strongly preferred, as well as experience with educational and non-profit governance bodies. Strong candidates will have experience with unionized workforce, grievance proceedings and alternative dispute resolution, as well as experience dealing with FOIA/FOIL.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Directs College Labor Relations functions requiring the highest degree of confidentiality, skill, sound judgment and attention to detail.
- Represents the College at grievances and disciplinary proceedings
- Writes labor/legal related briefs and decisions
- Responds to policy and procedural inquiries from a wide variety of College officials, including Vice Presidents, Deans and Department Chairs
- Responds to a variety of requests, such as employment discrimination complaints from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the New York State Division of Human Rights; subpoenas, and document requests
- Provides time-sensitive reports and information to internal and external sources, such as the New York Commission on Public Integrity
- Serves as liaison to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Labor Relations, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Human Resources Management, and Office of the General Counsel
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Legal Counsel and Labor Relations Director
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
August 23, 2017.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted online by accessing the CUNY Portal on City University of New York job website ( http://www.cuny.edu/employment.html or www2.cuny.edu/employment ) and following the CUNYfirst Job System Instructions. Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should follow the instructions to set up an account. To search for this vacancy, click on Search Job Postings, under Employment Opportunities, select More Options To Search For CUNY Jobs and enter the Job Opening ID then click Search. The required material, as stated on the CUNYfirst vacancy notice, for the application package must be uploaded as ONE file in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
CUNY is an EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.