Sustainability Steward: Communications & Design
General Statement of Job
To support the development, implementation, maintenance, and daily functions of ACC's sustainability initiatives. These include, but are not limited to, energy and water conservation, renewable energy, alternative transportation, recycling and waste management, sustainable purchasing and operations, ACC gardens, Green Team engagement, education and outreach, communications and graphics, and related programs.
The Sustainability Steward: Communications & Design position focuses on marketing, communications, and graphic design, while also gaining exposure to all ACC sustainability programs. This is a student position for full or part-time ACC students only. This is a semester-long position with the potential to continue for multiple semesters.
Location Service Center Hours 19 hours/week Salary $12.00/hr FLSA Status Non-Exempt Reports To Director, Energy & Sustainability Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Principles and concepts of sustainability
- Understanding of marketing, communications strategies, and design principles
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Creating marketing and communications strategies to promote and advance initiatives and programs
- Creating effective content; composing and editing written materials
- Effectively using graphic design skills to develop appropriate materials
- Maintaining files and performing other clerical duties
- Performing complex tasks and prioritizing multiple projects
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow through
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills with tact and diplomacy
- Contributing as a team member and assisting with other office initiatives, as needed
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials
- Maintaining an established work schedule, with flexibility around classes and job duty
- Demonstrated proficiency at an intermediate level using standard office software applications, including Word, Excel, Power Point, and Google Forms
- Demonstrated proficiency at an intermediate level using graphic software, including but not limited to, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Demonstrated proficiency with website design and social media
Required Work Experience
- Experience developing marketing and communications strategies and/or experience with website and social media content development and management and/or experience with graphic design.
Preferred Work Experience
- One year related work experience<br />
- Full or part-time ACC student
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Related coursework and/or major<br />
- Valid Texas Driver's License and reliable transportation for local Austin area travel
- Work is performed in both an internal and external environment with occasional exposure to inclement weather and varying temperatures
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, climbing, stooping, kneeling, pushing, pulling, and manual dexterity
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds
Other Preferred Qualifications
- Access to personal laptop with applicable software programs<br />
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.