College Preparatory Instructor - Math
General Statement of Job
To provide college preparatory instruction to returning adult learners in mathematics.
Location As assigned.
Note: Most classes at HBC, HLC, or EVC Hours Up to 19 hours, evenings and/or daytime Salary $32.25/hr FLSA Status Non-Exempt Reports To Executive Director, Adult Education Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Additional Job Specific Duties
- Record daily attendance
- Complete required professional development hours for Texas Workforce Commission and Austin Community College.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of adult instruction and learning methods.
- Knowledge of best practices in classroom management.
- Knowledge of Texas College and Career Readiness Standards.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills including tact and diplomacy.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Ability to manage time and classroom effectively.
- Ability to follow policies and procedures.
- Ability to serve as a positive role model for students.
- Demonstrating patience in working with students.
- Demonstrating creativity in the classroom.
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications.
Required Work Experience
- Two years experience teaching adult education, developmental education, or post secondary education students.
Preferred Work Experience
- Two years experience teaching developmental and/or college credit coursework.<br />
- Experience working with educationally and/or economically disadvantaged adult students.
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics or related field, plus graduate coursework in Mathematics, education, or related field.
- 18 hours or more towards a master's degree in Mathematics or related field.<br />
- Valid Texas Driver's License and reliable transportation for local Austin area travel.
- Must be available to teach evenings and weekends.
- Work is performed in a standard office environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting and moving of objects up to 20 pounds.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.