Career Services Manager, MENV
CU Boulder's Masters of the Environment program is now accepting applications for a Career Services Manager. The central purpose of this position is to facilitate employment of MENV students and alumni.
Primary responsibilities include career counseling and employer engagement.
Who we are:
The Masters of the Environment (MENV) Graduate Program at the University of Colorado Boulder is an interdisciplinary professional master's degree that equips students with the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary to address complex environmental challenges. The MENV program prepares students to become leaders in a wide range of careers in the environment, energy, natural resources, and sustainability. Through a comprehensive approach to professional education, MENV students received a graduate degree from one of the world's preeminent universities in environmental and natural sciences, while simultaneously gaining a valuable professional experience with an external client organization.
What your key responsibilities will be:
• Help MENV students and alumni create a "professional presence" by providing coaching on resumes, cover letters, professional communication, networking and social media/online.
• Provide strategic one-on-one and group career advising and assistance to MENV students and alumni; create action plans with students and follow up with them, as needed.
• Work with individual students to develop job search strategies; review and critique resumes, cover letters and other student-created documents.
• Conduct mock interviews.
• Help students develop a professional portfolio through exposure to different practice areas and work environments.
• Work with students to develop and highlight competencies including professional skills in communication, project management, creative problem solving and interpersonal skills.
• Assist with professional development and provide guidance on building connections and networking through individual counseling sessions and creating professional development specific workshops and programs for MENV students and alumni.
• Collaborate with other career services units and staff on campus.
• Build and maintain relationships with key academic and professional programs on campus that are relevant to MENV students.
• Conduct ongoing employer outreach and establish strong professional relationships with employers to determine their hiring needs.
• Promote MENV students and alumni to employers.
• Research local, national and global businesses and organizations.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge of employer and industry needs and trends in the environmental, natural resources, energy and sustainability sectors.
• Cultivate contacts among employers and provide MENV students with contacts for formal and informational interviews.
• Provide individualized solution for employers seeking to maximize their presence with environmental graduate students.
• Match students and potential employers.
• Follow established student, alumni and employer outreach protocols for employment opportunities.
• Maintain continuous contact with MENV students and alumni regarding employment opportunities.
• Monitor and track engagement progress.
Events and Programming
• Maintain a calendar of employer engagement events that will connect MENV students and alumni with potential employers.
• Manage and implement these events.
• Serve as the MENV representative at employer outreach events.
• Handle the logistics and venue coordination with employer recruiting and informational events.
• Work with MENV staff on a variety of programming, including but not limited to career and employer related special events and programming.
What we can offer:
The anticipated salary range for this position is $50,000 - $60,000/annually.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be inspirational. Be collaborative . Be successful. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in business, marketing, psychology, communications, environmental studies or related major.
- 3-5 years of professional experience in the environmental, natural resources or sustainability sectors.
- 1+ year of experience in career counseling, related student engagement activities or equivalent.
What you will need:
- Demonstrated ability to network, build relationships and leverage influence in a professional environment.
- Demonstrated ability to use job hiring databases, systems, applications and web-based platforms, as well as use of social media with regards to career counseling and employer engagement.
- Ability and willingness to take an energetic and creative approach to identifying employment options that are available for students and alumni, and be enthusiastic about facilitating individual introductions of students to potential employers.
- Ability and willingness to motivate and prepare students for job searches, including encouraging purposeful career planning, and how to promote students to potential employers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong organizational skills.
- Flexibility in working hours to accommodate evening and weekend programs.
- Strong relationship management skills.
- Ability to network effectively and quickly, establishing rapport and interpersonal working relationships with business/hiring representatives.
- Ability to manage priorities when working with multiple constituencies including campus staff, faculty, employers and students.
- Ability to organize and effectively manage details of recruiting and career information events.
- Ability to work independently and with numerous diverse constituencies.
- Demonstrated maturity, energy, initiative, professionalism and attention to detail.
- Ability to follow through.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- An understanding of the critical importance of confidentiality.
What we'd like you to have:
- Master's degree from an accredited institution.
- A record of successfully counseling and marketing environmental graduate students.
- Knowledge of effective job search strategies and job market trends/opportunities for professionals interested in the environment and sustainability.
- A network of connections in Colorado and elsewhere that can be accessed to assist students in finding employment.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by September 4, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Your Last and First Name - Job 10602.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Student Services
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10169 - Environmental Studies
Posting Date: Aug 11, 2017
Closing Date: Sep 4, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00736889