Research Computing Analyst
The Research Computing Analyst will consult with researchers about their workflows, applications, and other cyberinfrastructure needs to find the best solution for the researcher and the university. This position will also support Research Computing and the Center for Digital Scholarship and Research Data by providing trainings on a variety of computational and data related topics.
Who we are:
Research Computing (RC), within the Office of Information Technology (OIT), provides services for researchers including large-scale computing resources, storage of research data, high-speed data transfer capabilities, and support for data sharing. In addition, the RC group provides consulting in computational science and data management, and will support grant proposals by partnering or providing letters of support.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Prepare and implement training opportunities for researchers and students on a variety of topics, including topics such as scripting languages, software applications, cloud computing, or parallel computing applications, as well as learning to work with a supercomputer, version control, or basic programming.
- Consults with users to determine the best solution for issues, including debugging application performance, cloud computing, or improving research workflows. This includes working on user tickets as part of the RC help desk.
What we can offer:
Annual base salary for this position is market-based and competitive. In addition, the University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
What you should know:
While we are targeting a mid-level analyst with this search, we will also consider senior-level candidates and would adjust the compensation accordingly.
Be strategic. Be adaptable. Be collaborative. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in a scientific/engineering discipline.
- 1 year of demonstrated experience working in user support as part of a high-performance computing or big-data environment
- 1 year of teaching or training experience
What you will need:
- Ability to work well with people with a variety of skill levels
- Ability to plan and coordinate services to the RC user community as well as training on computational or data science related topics.
What we'd like you to have:
- Master's or PhD from an accredited institution in a scientific/engineering discpline
- Has been primary instructor for one college course or a technical training program
- Knowledge in at least one of the following programming languages: Python, R, C, C++, Fortran, Matlab
- Experience in using cloud computing platforms for computational or big-data research
- Understanding of parallelism
- Understanding of research workflows
- Experience supporting users in a national center
- Post-graduate experience using scientific computing and data analytics techniques in an academic or similar environment
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by August 27, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
3. Please combine resume and cover letter into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-10550.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10948 - OIT-Administration
Posting Date: Aug 11, 2017
Closing Date: Aug 27, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00736747