Referral Coordinator/Medical Assistant
University of Colorado Anschutz
College of Nursing, Office of Clinical and Community Affairs
Referral Coordinator/Medical Assistant (Health Technician II)
Position # 1331 - Requisition #10697
The College of Nursing is looking for a full-time, university staff (non-classified) Referral Coordinator/Medical Assistant (Health Technician II).
This class describes the second-level health technician. While the type of duties is similar to those performed at the lower level, the complexity of the job is different. The systems, operations, and processes are still established and defined but allow more flexibility and latitude in adapting practical approaches or routines to various situations. Not all circumstances are covered by established guidelines so positions must improvise solutions and alternatives. This class includes responsibility for training lower level technicians. Health Care Technician II differs from Health Care Technician I on Complexity and Purpose of Contact.
Sheridan Health Services (SHS) is a multi-site, nurse-managed federally qualified community health center, funded through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Bureau of Primary Healthcare; and is a collaborative effort between the College of Nursing and the Sheridan School District. There are now ~40 employees at two convenient locations to serve community health needs primarily for residents of Sheridan, Englewood, and North Littleton. A school-based clinic is located in the Sheridan School District Administration building. The community health center is located on the Fort Logan campus and provides services to adults. Services offered include primary care across the lifespan; prenatal and postpartum care, gynecology, dentistry, pharmacy, behavioral health, and outpatient substance abuse treatment. We extend the reach of the clinic through public health outreach where nursing students provide community outreach, health education, and home visitation services. http://www.nursing.ucdenver.edu/Sheridan.
The University of Colorado, College of Nursing is seeking a Referral Coordinator/Medical Assistant for a full-time (1.0 FTE) position within the Office of Clinical and Community Affairs at the Sheridan Health Services clinics located in the Fort Logan neighborhood of Denver, CO 80236. The Referral Coordinator/Medical Assistant (MA) exists to perform both referral and MA job duties. This includes a variety of clerical and patient service duties necessary to maintain efficient flow of operations in the medical office. Additionally, the Referral Coordinator/MA will process referrals for patients seen in Sheridan Health Services by verifying patient insurance eligibility, communicating with nurse practitioners and physicians as needed, obtaining prior authorization or pre-certification when needed, scheduling appointments consistent with patients' insurance plans, performing any administrative work related to the referral, and tracking referrals until completion. This position will also help patients connect with specialty care as well as access available community resources and services for both adult and pediatric populations. The Referral Coordinator/MA will communicate appropriate diagnostic and clinical information as needed to complete referrals in a manner appropriate to the patient's age and developmental stage. This position will represent Sheridan Health Services professionally and positively to enhance and promote Sheridan's mission to provide quality patient-centered care, always exercising utmost discretion, diplomacy and tact during patient interactions and interactions with clinical partners.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Referral Coordination Duties:
- Assist the Primary Care Team by coordinating referrals to specialty providers
- Facilitate communication between Sheridan providers, community specialists, and patient(s)
- Identify new options for specialty and community referrals.
- Actively assist patients and families to navigate the referral process and mitigate barriers.
- Serve as a patient advocate in communicating patient requests/needs for interventions and or action by the Primary Care Team.
- Utilize personal health information (PHI) to prepare patients for specialty visits and to support workflow in the clinic.
- Coordinate referrals for specialist consultations, diagnostic studies, and community resources.
- Assist in administrative coordination of care with pharmacies, insurance companies and other providers in the community.
- Track referrals as outlined in clinic referral procedure. Ensure all reports from referrals are received in a timely manner and attach the specialty note to the specialty referral for primary care provider review.
- Send medical records to specialists as requested and in accordance with relevant regulations.
- Participate in care team decisions regarding data requirements to proactively manage patient care.
- Follows Patient Centered Medical Home principles of referral management.
- Use and update the directory of resources in the community to meet basic health and human needs.
- Perform accurate, legal and ethical documentation at all times
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Medical Assistant Duties:
- Measuring and recording vital signs
- Recording patient interview and history notes
- Provide room set up and clearing
- Assist providers with procedures as needed
- Dispose of biohazard waste according to OSHA standards
- Practice OSHA safety standards
Salary and Benefits:
The salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A high school diploma or GED
- One year of experience related to referral coordination in a clinical setting and/or an insurance company health plan referral unit
o Substitution: College or university course work may substitute on a year for year basis.
- Graduation from an educational program for Medical Assistants.
- Experience working in a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC).
- Current BLS certification or by date of hire.
- Medical Assistant certification through AAMA, AMT (certification as an RMA), National Center for Competency Testing or a comparable certification body.
- Bilingual in both English and Spanish.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and experience using electronic health record systems.
- Ability to identify problems, research and recommend resolutions while exercising discretion and appropriate decision-making.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) 4. Attach a copy of current BLS certification if applicant has one 5. Attach a copy of Medical Assistant certification if applicant has one Questions should be directed to CON.HR@ucdenver.edu.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin August 25, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20468 - College of Nursing
Posting Date: Aug 11, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: College of Nursing HR
Posting Contact Email: CON.HR@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00001331