Assistant Director of Data & Business Intelligence
University Information Systems (UIS) provides technical services and enterprise applications to the University of Colorado campuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence in customer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterprise applications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used by students, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.
This position exists to serve as an Assistant Director for the discipline of Data and Business Intelligence (BI), including reporting. This position will be responsible for developing and defining reporting and data standards across several lines of business, in partnership with UIS Enterprise Architect, UIS Data Architect, Data and BI team and the Integrations team. This position will lead a team of report developers and will be responsible for setting direction, establishing priorities, and having technical depth to guide the team through the selection and creation of tools, templates and in the implementation of solutions. In addition, this position will be called upon to lead projects from time to time in the areas of responsibility, working closely with the UIS Project Management Office. This position will be a key member of the UIS Design Review team representing the data areas. This position will also collaborate with the campuses and manage the reporting queue and priorities. This position is also exempt from the classified system.
The Assistant Director of Data and BI works with groups such as:
- Directors and Assistant Directors at University Information Systems
- IT Directors and Report Developers on each of the four campuses
- Project Management
- IBM Cognos Report Developers on Campuses
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Assistant Director of Data and BI duties include:
35% - Personnel Management
- Personnel management of 7 FTE Report Developers, Dataware Developers, and analysts
- Coaching, mentoring, and training
- Recruitment and hiring of Integrations personnel
- Setting direction and prioritization of tasks, including queue management
30% - Technical Strategy and Leadership
- Provide technical leadership of a common approach to data warehouse, reporting, and business intelligence across all UIS services
- Research and articulate new technologies and best practices
- Anticipate and resolve issues related to data and business intelligence
15% - Reporting/Data Advisor
- Serve as an advisor to work teams across UIS and Campus IT and power users in the areas of focus
- Provides leadership in recommending the overall direction and processes for data warehouse and reporting
- Lead processes and continuous improvements of data/BI work
20% - Strategic Customer Relationship Manager
- Proactively communicate with campus partners and build relationships to set expectations and understand customer needs prioritizations
- Consult with other Assistant Directors to ensure that support and work for reporting is meeting the needs of the four CU campuses
- Facilitate collaboration and encourage knowledge and process sharing among integrations offices
- Consult and coordinate with system staff to ensure strong relationships internal to UIS
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong written and oral communication skills and demonstrated experience working with a diverse constituent base
- Prior demonstrated experience leading a project to successful conclusions
Who we are:
System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. However, this position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
The University of Colorado is committed to recruiting and supporting diversity and equality in education and employment. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary range for this position is $100,000 - $110,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. Information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems or a related field
- 3+ years' experience including the following:
- Managing personnel including developing/mentoring direct reports through performance reviews to ensure continuous improvement, high performance and employee retention.
- Managing projects, services or processes within a department with proven ability to execute decisions using strategic and tactical skill-set.
- Working closely and effectively with a diverse group of administrators through projects and operations; strong interpersonal and leadership skills; proven ability to effect and influence change through a collaborative and inclusive style.
- Managing a team of two (2) or more technical positions
- Full-time or equivalent experience as a senior developer and/or architect in BI area
- Experience with Data Platforms (e.g. IBM Cognos, ODI)
- Experience working in a Higher Education environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration, completed applications must be received by Thursday, August 24, 2017. Those who do not apply by August 24, 2017 may or may not be considered. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and list of references to your application as three separate documents. Please ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached. For full consideration, please apply by August 24, 2017.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50119 - University Information Systems
Posting Date: Aug 11, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lauren Morain
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00687656