Deputy Police Chief
Reports directly to the Chief of Police and in the absence of the Chief is the designated Acting Chief of Police. Assist in the daily operation of the police department to include the supervision of Sergeants, Campus Police Dispatchers and the Communications Center. Assist in the development, implementation of department goals and objectives, policies and procedures.
- Assist the Chief of Police in the daily operation of the Police Department
- Maintain all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Rules and Regulations and Job Descriptions within the Police Department. Ensure timely reviews, revisions, additions and deletions of same.
- Provides direction, support and supervision to shift Sergeant positions and to the Dispatch Center. Ensures that communication and coordination among shifts and functions are optimal to support effective operation of the Police Department in serving the campus community.
- Assists the Chief of Police in the day to day operation of the Police Department. Makes decisions commensurate with authority in the areas of disciplinary action, budget maintenance, department goal attainment, and creative problem solving. In the Chief's absence, acts as liaison and department representative to outside law enforcement agencies, community members, or internal constituencies.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Ability to manage Clery Act, Title IX and FERPA obligations
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively
- Ability to maintain standards of professional ethics and adhere to law enforcement codes of conduct
- Ability to handle sensitive situations and information with discretion
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external communities, including executive administrators, academic personnel, students and allied agencies, to accomplish mutual goals
- All qualifications not previously obtained upon hire, must be satisfactorily completed within 12 months of employment
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screening test, physical fitness and agility applicable to law enforcement officers
- Pass a comprehensive background investigation including physical, psychology evaluation, polygraph examination, driving records and criminal history
2-5 years experience
Click here for a summary of our benefit information. For a summary of our adjunct faculty compensation, click here.
Every employee of the college is expected to treat all members of the college community with dignity and respect demonstrating professional, courteous and respectful behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution, when needed.
In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained.
For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
Johnson County Community College welcomes the application of any qualified candidate and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or other factors that cannot be lawfully considered.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email.
For a summary of all disclosures (Background check, Clery Act, ADA, EOE, etc) refer to the links on our Career page.
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Competitive rate of pay.
Hours per Week
Please attach cover letter and resume to application.