Application & Platform Engineer
8AM - 5PM
$83,600 - $99,900
The Applications and Platform Engineer will support the set-up, configuration, upgrading/patching, and maintaining of all applications within Information Technology Solutions (ITS). This position maintains the Nutanix converged storage platform, including the VMware ESXi hypervisor, that comprises the campus's virtual server infrastructure. In addition, this position will also be responsible for all facets of the campus's virtual desktop infrastructure utilizing VMware Horizon running on Nutanix hardware. The Applications and Platform Engineer will also assist on DevOps processes supporting the Information Technology Solutions application developers.
Demonstrated experience with database administration. Working knowledge of database management systems and standards. Knowledge relating to database system design. Advanced database querying and modeling skills working with moderately complex databases.
Demonstrated testing and test planning skills.
Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of how system management actions affect other systems, system users and dependent/related functions.
Advanced skills associated with programming design, modification and implementation. Basic knowledge of secure software development. Demonstrated ability to create software specifications.
Interpersonal skills sufficient to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization. Ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner.
Works independently and as part of a team. Demonstrated problem-solving skills. Ability to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner.
Familiarity with data quality and governance issues and requirements.
Advanced knowledge of computer security tools, best practices and policies including demonstrated experience securing server-based software. Demonstrated skill at administering moderately complex security controls and configurations to computer hardware, software and networks.
Demonstrated ability to install software and troubleshoot and repair moderately complex problems with computing devices, peripherals and software. Understanding of and experience troubleshooting client, server and peripherals-related issues and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance. Experience in incident response and digital forensics, including data collection, examination and analysis.
Broad knowledge of various areas of IT.
Thorough knowledge of business and process analysis functions. Knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
Familiarity with logical data design and data mapping or data conversion.
Demonstrated knowledge supporting third party applications.
Demonstrated knowledge supporting virtualized infrastructure utilizing VMware's ESXi hypervisor.
Demonstrated knowledge of converged storage platforms such as Nutanix.
Demonstrated knowledge supporting virtual desktop infrastructure utilizing VMware Horizon.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview