Payroll Specialist II
*Cover letter is required with application.*
Summary: The Payroll Specialist II analyzes, prepares, and processes Wake Forest University (WFU) transactions for faculty, staff, and student payrolls. Prepares and maintains complex reconciliation functions related to confirmed payrolls. Works closely with all areas of Human Resources (HR), Financial Services, and WFU Business Partners to maintain communication, standards, values, and goals set within the Payroll Office.
- Analyzes, prepares, processes, and distributes all aspects of assigned payrolls; meets processing deadlines.
- Audits payroll data to confirm accuracy of payments.
- Ensures compliance with payroll data in regards to federal and multi-state governmental tax regulations; ensures compliance with WFU Payroll policies and procedures.
- Works closely and maintains a collaborative working relationship with HR to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
- Assists faculty, staff, students, and departmental managers and supervisors with definitions and interpretation of Payroll, Financial Services, and Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Completes employee wage and employment verifications, employee direct deposit enrollments, and input of employee tax forms.
- Maintains reconciliation of pay runs including but not limited to pay and deduction data each pay period for month-, quarter-, and year- to- date balancing.
- Works closely with all areas of Financials Services to ensure payroll data is processed and reconciled within the deadline.
- Assists in the preparation and processing of annual W-2, 1042-S, 1099R, and 1099M’s.
- Maintains employee data within the Novatime, Banner, and Windstar Software packages.
- Responsible for documentation of assigned job duties.
- Participates in special projects as assigned by the Payroll Management team.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or a related field with three years of payroll experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong analytical, research, and technical skills, and the ability to identify and resolve multifaceted payroll problems.
- Ability to work and participate effectively in a team environment with various levels of staff to accomplish the goals and values of the payroll office.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- Ability to maintain a close working relationship with the HR team.
- Strong knowledge of relevant federal, multi-state tax regulations, and the ability to keep knowledge base up to date.
- Knowledge and understanding of Banner or Workday, Windstar, Novatime, and various accounting software systems.
- Ability to manage and maintain confidential of records and information; adheres to the confidentiality of the records.
- Ability to analyze and interpret WFU policy and procedures.
- Independently establish priorities, organize workflow, and manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational, time management, and strong customer service skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, strong interpersonal skills, superior telephone etiquette, and ability to interact effectively with students, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to maintain certifications.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- CPP certification.
- Cognos experience.
- Responsible for own work.
Note: This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
To help provide a safe learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce, and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States