Part-Time Learning Commons Administrative Assistant
Requisition Number STA - 201000000516
Job Title Part-Time Learning Commons Administrative Assistant
(THIS IS A POSTING FOR INTERNAL CANDIDATES)
The Learning Commons at UNT Dallas is also known as the center for tutoring. Our mission is to assist students in developing and improving their skills, strategies, and study habits in order to be successful academically during their time at UNT Dallas and professionally once they graduate. Most of our tutors are peer tutors, but we also have graduate tutors and professional tutors in the Writing Center. All of our tutors are faculty recommended and go through a vigorous hiring and training process to ensure that our students have the best experience while visiting the Learning Commons. The Learning Commons currently houses the Writing Center, the Math Lab, the Study Skills Center, Supplemental Instruction (SI), and our general peer tutoring (general subject tutoring). All of our tutoring services are FREE for students enrolled at UNT Dallas.
The Administrative Assistant serves as a staff/team member in the Learning Commons, works closely and under the supervision of the Learning Commons Coordinator and Administrative Specialist, and may work with students to some capacity. The Part-Time Learning Commons Administrative Assistant would serve as the first point of contact for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Meticulous record keeping, file management, and organization for the Learning Commons
• Maintaining supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; drafting supply order forms in order to expedite process; verifying receipt of supplies
• Devising fliers, signs, and other marketing material for the Learning Commons as well as completing some scanning/imaging as needed
• Answering basic phone calls and replying to email inquiries regarding the functions of the Learning Commons
• Interpreting and clarifying Learning Commons procedures to faculty, administration, staff, students, tutors, and visitors
• Maintaining contact and liaison with other University offices, administrative officers, and executive officers of external agencies
• Ensuring operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; contacting I.T. and other necessary parties for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques and labeling as necessary
• Assisting coordinator with special assignments, projects, and events
• Aiding coordinator in developing and maintain organization and staffing plans (peer tutors, meetings, training)
• Assisting students in scheduling appointments for the Writing Center and oversees Writing Center/Tutor appointment schedule
• Directing the daily in-and-out flow of students in the Learning Commons
• Following appropriate safety procedures and security measures related to work performed
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Successful applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications:
• High school diploma or GED equivalent
• Skill in telephone etiquette and courteous verbal and oral communication with public
• Skill in evaluating facts or situation to route calls/customers appropriately
• Basic MS Office skills
• Skill in the operation of a variety of office machines including, personal computers, telephones and copiers
• Skill in filing and recordkeeping
• Skill in English composition, grammar, spelling and punctuation
• Skill in basic math
• Knowledge of standard office policies and procedures
• Strong ability to work independently and make decisions within the framework of broad goals and objectives
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees and with the general public, and to deal with public relations problems courteously and tactfully
• Ability to work under considerable pressure, to adjust to constant changes, to hand multiple tasks, and to coordinate the work of others as necessary
• Ability to keep complex records; to assemble and organize data of complete nature, and to prepare and submit reports in acceptable formats
• Advanced Proficiency/fluency of Spanish or other foreign languages preferred but not required
• Experience working with university systems preferred
• Knowledge of FERPA preferred but not required
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work requires some muscular and/or physical strain such as standing for long periods of time and some recurring walking, lifting of items weighing up to 25
Driving University Vehicle? No
Monday-Thursday 9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00am-3:00pm, and other times as necessary.
Substitution of Experience/Education No
Start Date 08/28/2017
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Completed application must be accompanied by cover letter, current rsum, copy of most recent college transcript, list of references and available work schedule.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- * Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a High School Diploma or GED?
- * What is your level of proficiency in Spanish (speaking, reading, writing, grammar/composition)
- No proficiency
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- Cover Letter
- Undergraduate Transcript
- Writing sample
- Veteran Preference (DD-214)