College of the Sequoias Community College District
Description of Position
Under the direction of the Chief Accounting Officer, the College Accountant will be responsible for assisting the CAO with the daily fiscal operation of the District, assuring that all accounting functions are recorded properly and timely, with monitoring District cash flow; verifying daily bank positive pay for fraud prevention; assisting with establishing and auditing the working budget and reporting it monthly to the Board of Trustees and County Office of Education; assisting with the year-end closing; processing the monthly CalCard statements, reviewing for expenses and assuring no fraud has occurred; assisting with financial aid disbursements; utilizing the District's integrated software system and other District fiscal software; performing a variety of difficult and complex accounting duties; preparing, maintaining and auditing assigned District-wide financial reports; assisting in the formulation and revision of financial record-keeping procedures; assisting with establishing and/or creating District contracts, Requests for Proposals (RFP's) and Memorandums of Understanding (MOU's).
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor's Degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Business, or Business Administration, or related field, and two years of responsible experience in accounting, including the preparation and maintenance of financial records and reports.
• Plan, prioritize and perform a variety of accounting and budgeting functions; communicate with a variety of District, County, state and federal offices and agencies regarding fiscal programs. Function as a critical part of the Accounting team.
• Provide technical support, training and general backup for accounting operations; plan, prioritize, assign and direct the work of accounting office staff
• Coordinate District–wide accounting functions for assigned program or District operation.
• Prepare District–wide reports involving state categorical programs and instructional grants.
• Prepare monthly bank reconciliations
• Review, interpret and implement federal, state and District
accounting and budget regulations; coordinate, prepare, analyze, audit and monitor financial and fiscal–related reports and claims.
• Prepare, monitor and analyze budgets for an assigned set of accounts; review and analyze budgets for compliance to District regulations.
• Maintain state funded construction project accounting in FUSION
• Maintain income records and monitor the collection of monies due; assure accounts receivable are billed accurately and collected in a timely manner.
• Maintain general and subsidiary ledger accounts; update control accounts; reconcile and balance accounts; create trial balance.
• Analyze and approve account transactions, assure fiscal documents are prepared and maintained in accordance with established requirements.
• Provide a variety of information and resolve issues pertaining to financial, payroll or purchasing records as requested.
• Assist in preparing the annual District budget by compiling information regarding transfers, expenditures, income, adjustments and payroll.
• Analyze fiscal records and prepare a variety of district financial and statistical reports for audit preparation, administrative decision support, State and federal reporting.
• Prepare certain required annual IRS filings
• Prepare detailed District contracts, RFP's and MOU's;
work closely with administrators to review proposed
contract, RFP, and MOU language and content.
• Utilize the District's various software programs in performing the required duties of the position.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
• Salary is at Range 41AA. ($4,191 monthly)
• Salary increase after 6 months of satisfactory service; increases annually thereafter.
• Minimum 5% increase if promoted.
• 10-working month probationary period.
• Union membership upon employment.
• PERS Retirement.
• Medical/dental/vision insurance program for employee
• Employee life insurance ($100,000) is provided.
Conditions of Employment
• Indoor office environment
• Constant interruptions
• Ability to inspect financial records
• Ability to communicate with staff
• Ability to sit for extended period of time
• Ability to lift up to 10 lbs.
• Ability to retrieve files and to reach in all directions
• Ability to operate office equipment.
Only complete application packages will be evaluated by a qualified screening committee as soon as possible after the closing date. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not assure the candidate an interview. Application materials will be screened to determine the extent to which they meet the Representative Duties. A selected group of candidates will be invited for oral interviews. After initial interviews, finalists may be asked to return for a second interview.
All costs incurred as a result of the application/selection process shall be borne by the candidate.
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://www.cos.edu/About/HumanResources/Pages/Employment-Opportunities.aspx
Applicants must submit the following materials which must be received by Human Resource Services on or before the application deadline,
August 25, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.
• Completed COS classified application form
• Letter of Interest which addresses your interest in this
position and the representative duties
• Copies of transcripts (Officials upon employment)
Human Resource Services (559) 730-3867
College of the Sequoias CCD 915 S. Mooney Blvd. Sequoia Building, Room 5 Visalia, CA 93277
Notice to all candidates for employment
"College of the Sequoias Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military service, or any other basis protected by law."
The District provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the job application and hiring process, please contact a representative from Human Resources at (559) 730-3867 to request a reasonable accommodation."