Asst Dir-Government Relations
Working Title Asst Dir-Government Relations
Eastern Washington University is seeking an Assistant Director of Government Relations. Reporting to the Eastern Washington University Director of Government Relations, the Assistant Director helps the university achieve its mission and goals through strong communication and advocacy with legislators and other individuals and groups throughout the region and in Washington, D.C. Working closely and collaboratively with the EWU executive team and the Director of Government Relations.
On top of salary, the University offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life and disability insurance and retirement. In addition, EWU offers generous vacation and sick leave accruals, 10 paid holidays per year and fringe benefits, such as tuition waiver for employees, discounted EWU sports tickets and free transportation through STA buses.
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.
About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern's Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Conditions of Employment
Please note: this position is located in Olympia, Washington. The successful candidate will be required to attend frequent meetings on the Westside, Olympia, as well as, work additional hours in Olympia during the Legislative Session.
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. Successful applicant will be required to pass a background check for continued employment.
If you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the position, please contact Vara Lyn Conrath at firstname.lastname@example.org.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Three years of professional experience in state government or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Strong skills in communicating effectively and persuasively with a variety of constituencies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the state legislative process as well as procedures and protocols of the Washington state legislature.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Basic familiarity with social media platforms.
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
- Master's degree.
- Five years of experience with Washington state government.
- Experience preparing and presenting testimony to legislative bodies.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Eastern Washington University.