Adjunct Faculty -- Mechanical Drafting, Early College Program
Date: August 11, 2017
Title: Adjunct Faculty – Mechanical Drafting, Early College Program
Position number: 815
Work schedule: Monday-Friday (Days), Fall and Winter semester
Reports to: Department Head, Mechanical and Architectural Design
- The College is interested in seeking candidates to teach Mechanical Drafting courses in the Fall and Winter semesters at our downtown campus and various regional sites. A criminal background check will be conducted on all finalists prior to employment with Grand Rapids Community College.
Essential Job Functions
- Teach drafting courses to a cohort of high school students during the day at Kent Career Technical Center (KCTC) (could mean teaching 2 to 4 times a week based on class period times).
- Effectively assess student performance.
- Advise students on curriculum requirements, job market needs, and employment trends.
- Utilize multiple strategies to facilitate learning, i.e. small group work, workshops, etc.
- Incorporate new technologies that enhance teaching and learning.
- Support the Department and College through other work normally expected of adjunct faculty members.
- Attend an Early College faculty orientation.
Education and Credentials
- Bachelor’s Degree in field.
- Minimum of 2 years (4000 hours) work experience in the field
- Relevant certification
- Community college experience preferred
- Successful teaching experience in the discipline required
- Successful teaching experience to high school students preferred.
- Community College teaching experience preferred.
- Experience working with non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds and with varying academic skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
- An interest in teaching college-level material to high school students as part of a middle college or dual enrollment program.
- An interest in working with diverse student populations, who represent a wide range of ethnicity, national origin and ability.
- Demonstrated expertise in the subject matter
- Interest in and willingness to work with changing instructional technologies used in and out of the classroom
- Willingness and availability to work a flexible schedule
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner
- Must have the physical capacity for lifting up to 25lbs.
- Classroom environment in an academic setting.
Method of Application
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position via our website at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs Please include your resume and cover letter in one document; unofficial transcripts; and three letters of recommendation, which you may upload yourself or have your supporters e-mail to the Hiring Team at email@example.com Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.