Sponsored Research Business Analyst - School of Earth, Society, and Environment (A1700492)
Sponsored Research Business Analyst
School of Earth, Society, and Environment
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Sponsored Research Business Analyst will manage all pre-award and post-award aspects of sponsored research activities for faculty investigators in the School of Earth, Society, and Environment that includes the Departments of Atmospheric Sciences, Geology, and Geography and Geographic Information Science.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Counsel researchers through the pre- and post-award processes for externally-funded research projects. Review solicitations, and provide guidance on submission of sponsored research proposals. Develop complex project budgets and other components of applications submitted through various federally managed electronic research administration systems, as well as to private research sponsors. Conduct analysis of faculty effort in accordance with regulatory compliance guidelines. Advocate for the faculty, School, and University during negotiations with external funding sponsors. Collaborate with inter-disciplinary researchers on campus, as well as with other educational institutions, government agencies, and private organizations during both the application and award execution process. Provide advice and action plans on use of research funding according to federal agency or other sponsor terms or regulations. Maintain professional relationships with departmental and central campus offices to facilitate effective and efficient business processes. Develop internal business systems and specialized reports as needed for sponsored research management. Work with other business staff on certain post-award activities including monitoring of expenses for compliance with sponsor and university guidelines; biannual expenditure confirmations; tracking of sponsor billing; and facilitating project close-out functions. Seek continuing education opportunities or relevant certifications, and remain current on changing campus and sponsor policies and guidelines.
- Bachelor's Degree;
- Two years' experience in a complex business, academic, research or government environment;
- Demonstrated exceptional professional service skills and the ability to work in a team setting;
- Proven effective organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to exhibit discretion in professional judgment;
- Attention to detail;
- Critical and analytical mindset;
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize;
- Highly developed communication skills;
- Ability to develop and tailor tools to effectively communicate ideas and analyze situations;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and to represent the School and the University in a professional manner;
- Extensive knowledge of PC-based tools including Word and Excel.
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, or scientific field.
- Experience at an institution of higher education setting;
- Experience in accounting, auditing, or laboratory research in a scientific field;
- Prior experience with federal electronic research administration systems such as NSF FASTLane, NASA NSPIRES, and Grants.gov.
- Knowledge of sponsored research activity within a University setting;
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards (GAS);
- Use of the University's My-UI-Financials, Banner system, and the Data Warehouse, and general database application knowledge.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This is a full-time, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is September 16, 2017, or sooner if possible. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION:
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume by August 24, 2017 in a single pdf file. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact email@example.com. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: School of Earth, Society, and Environment
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Sponsored Research Business Analyst - School of Earth, Society, and Environment (A1700492)
Open Date: 08/10/2017
Organization Name: Sch Earth, Soc, Environ Admin