Research Integrity Officer - Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research (A1700495)
Research Integrity Officer
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has a unique breadth of research expertise, with world-renowned strengths in the arts, agriculture, business, the humanities, and the social sciences, as well as top-ranked programs in the natural sciences and engineering. Many of the technologies that enabled the modern electronic era were developed at the U of I, and year in and year out, we are among the top universities in NSF-funded research and development expenditures. Today, we're building on that tradition, working to address society's most pressing problems by doing what we do best-interdisciplinary research that drives positive change in our communities, our state, our nation, and the world.
The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research is seeking a candidate who can promote and support the responsible conduct of research, and receive and evaluate allegations of research misconduct and manage the further inquiry and investigation into these allegations as the specific case requires. This is an academic professional, full-time, 12-month position renewed annually pending continued funding and progress within the position. The estimated starting date is on or after September 16, 2017.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as intake official for research misconduct allegations. Develop and maintain campus institutional policies pertaining to research integrity. Facilitate review and revisions to the UI Policy and Procedures on Integrity in Research and Publications.
- Develop innovative training and informational resources for campus researchers and students on the responsible conduct of research. Develop and help to implement campus training requirements, taking federal agency requirements into account, and working with other OVCR staff as needed. Develop expanded content resources and conduct training sessions for campus researchers and students on the responsible conduct of research.
- Continuously innovate to improve services for and the conditions of the university research community.
- Work with OVCR information technology staff to provide an innovative online environment for training and the management of training records.
- Work with department heads to perform initial assessments of allegations. Work with Complainant and Respondent on allegations and responses. Sequester research records and materials as deemed appropriate.
- Consult with Deans and Vice Chancellor for Research to determine whether to initiate formal proceedings. Work with appropriate administrators to appoint Inquiry/Investigation Panels and facilitate investigative process.
- Draft committee reports when needed. Issue final notification to all stakeholders regarding determinations. Prepare and submit required federal reports and updates.
- Represent the UIUC campus at the Big Ten Academic Alliance Research Integrity Officer Subgroup and other meetings and conferences when appropriate.
- Monitor investigator compliance with research integrity and conflict of interest policies and plans, and work with researchers to improve compliance.
- Contributes to OVCR leadership team through service on various committees and task forces and through other duties as assigned.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
Required education: Bachelor's degree in the sciences or closely related field. Alternate degree fields will be considered/accepted if accompanied by equivalent experience, depending on nature and depth of experience as it relates to this position. Preferred education: Doctoral degree in the sciences or law degree strongly preferred. Alternate degree fields will be considered/accepted if accompanied by equivalent experience, depending on nature and depth of experience as it relates to this position.
Required experience: Three years of experience working in a research environment, such as research administration or the conduct of research. Experience with management of a review process for submitted research proposals. Experience convening and coordinating committee and working groups.
Required knowledge: Familiarity with university administrative processes and faculty governance. Excellent communication and organizational skills. Ability to work with diverse constituents. Preferred knowledge: Familiarity with the UIUC campus research community and demonstrated knowledge of federal guidelines and regulations related to compliance for grants and contracts.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and skills.
Benefits: Generous vacation and sick leave. State Universities Retirement System. Group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
For full consideration, applications must be received by August 31, 2017. To apply, all candidates must submit an online profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu by the close of the posting period. Qualified candidates must upload a letter detailing qualifications noted above, curriculum vitae or resume', and a working e-mail address. Online application will require names and contact information for three professional references. All requested information must be submitted by the closing date for your application to be considered. Incomplete information will not be reviewed.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Upon acceptance of a contingent offer, educational transcripts or copy of diploma will be required.
For further information please contact Erica Hanson, Human Resources, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, 217-333-6897 or email@example.com.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Chancellor
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Research Integrity Officer - Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research (A1700495)
Open Date: 08/10/2017
Close Date: 08/31/2017
Organization Name: Vice Chancellor-Research