Duke University Talent Identification Program is seeking a Director of Development and Alumni Engagement to report to the Executive Director of TIP. This position sets the strategy and directs Duke TIP's development and alumni engagement activities, including individual, corporate, and foundation giving, and advises the Executive Director on ways to increase Duke TIP's ability to provide financial aid to its students. The director will manage development and alumni staff and is charged with expanding TIP's fundraising efforts and alumni engagement strategies, including overseeing annual contributions from foundations, corporations, alumni, parents, and friends of Duke TIP. This position will design both short-term and long-term fundraising and alumni engagement goals by identifying benchmarks for the organization, and a clear mechanism for achievement of those goals. The director will also work with the executive director to develop an effective plan that enables TIP to reach its annual fundraising and alumni engagement goals. Application deadline: September 5, 2017.
Strategy Development and Implementation
• Strategize and direct all fundraising and alumni engagement activities, including individual cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship for endowment, corporate, and foundation support.
• Assist executive director in the prioritization of TIP's funding needs; keep abreast of institutional priorities, programs, and events for use in fundraising; work with TIP's marketing team to develop and implement programs that enhance TIP's position among its donors.
• Work with TIP's executive director to establish the fundraising and alumni engagement goals, develop metrics for success, and create a system to evaluate performance. Communicate with and discuss benchmarking with peer organizations to determine appropriate fundraising strategies for TIP.
• Create and implement a development plan, which moves TIP toward securing $5M+ annually in revenue to support scholarships and financial aid for students, as well as, the strategic initiatives for TIP. Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved.
• Evaluate the effectiveness of development and alumni engagement activities, and monitor their metrics to gain insight that helps TIP in determining the most efficient and effective methods for fundraising and support. Prepare trend analysis reports that demonstrate progress, adverse trends, and include appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
• Collaborate with the marketing team to create fundraising and alumni engagement communications strategies, including outreach to our targeted audiences, the development of special solicitation materials and campaign aids, coordinating direct mail and email solicitations, and devising other ways to increases donor and alumni engagement with TIP through printed materials, honor rolls, special events, social media campaigns, etc.)
Fundraising and Alumni Engagement
• Identify individual, endowment, foundation, and corporate prospects whose goals align with TIP's mission and create engagement strategies to secure their support.
• Travel to meet with individual prospects and volunteers to cultivate interest, solicit, entertain, and provide needed information to these prospects and donors, develop and negotiate donor contracts and funder proposals.
• Communicate with foundation and corporate representatives to develop relationships and pinpoint funding opportunities. Manage all cultivation and solicitation strategies and prepare strategies in moves management format.
• Direct grant writing efforts for foundation/corporate proposals, working in conjunction with TIP's marketing team and development staff as needed.Cultivate and present proposals to corporate and foundation prospects, as needed.
• Oversee the engagement of the TIP executive director and development staff for foundation and corporate calls or meetings. Manage trips and campus visits, attend briefings, and accompany TIP staff to meetings with foundation and corporate representatives. Travel for meetings, as necessary.
• Oversee TIP's alumni engagement activities, which include developing an effective system for tracking alumni contact information, directing TIP's Distinguished Alumni Awards program, and building a network of Duke TIP alumni to develop their interest and participation in TIP's student and staff recruitment, mentoring, and program engagement.
• Enlist and interact with key alumni and volunteers whose employers offer corporate matching gifts in order to increase contributions and help build corporate collaborations.
• Oversee the TIP annual fund, which focuses on smaller donors. Create and manage a variety of fundraising strategies to promote the concept of annual giving among TIP's alumni, parents, students, and friends of Duke TIP. Monitor progress toward fundraising goals and evaluate metrics for the annual fund, including recommending additional efforts and strategies as needed to reach annual goals. Work with internal and external alumni engagement and development colleagues to identify and prioritize prospects for the annual fund and leadership gifts and stay abreast of best practices in both fields.
Staffing Management and Operations
• Provide supervision for development professionals, including clarifying their individual goals and establishing timelines and milestones for accomplishing them. Conduct monthly review meetings. Provide leadership and direct various personnel actions, including hiring, training, and performance appraisals.
• Oversee communication with University Development as well as Duke's alumni engagement areas. Collaborate closely with these University colleagues on shared prospects and opportunities for joint campaigns and events. Coordinate fundraising and alumni engagement policies, strategies, prospect clearance, and donor recognition. Equip University Development gift officers to solicit gifts on TIP's behalf and recruit University alumni professionals to help in identifying TIP alumni.
• Prepare operating plans, manage budgets, and approve expenditures related to development and alumni engagement activities.
• Consult and collaborate with other TIP staff on special projects, as needed.
• Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Preferred Experience: Work requires 8 years experience in fundraising, a minimum of 5 years experience with managing direct reports, and at least 3 years of alumni engagement experience.
Graduate degree preferred.
Demonstrated success in project management, major gift, and annual fund giving. Corporation or foundation fundraising in an educational nonprofit setting. Demonstrated ability to handle multiple complex fundraising activities simultaneously and coordinate solicitation strategies in a decentralized environment; demonstrated success in soliciting five to seven-figure gifts. Demonstrated success in reaching, engaging, and motivating alumni as organizational volunteers and supporters.
1279 DIR, DEVELOPMENT
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skillsgenerally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
Work requires seven years experience in alumni affairs, publicrelations, fund raising, sales and promotions, marketing, studentactivities or a related field in order to acquire skills necessary toadminister, coordinate and/or participate in general fund raisingactivities and proposal development.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.