HEAD, DENTAL LIBRARY
Duties: The Head, Dental Library, provides leadership and direction for the Leon Levy Library, a first-rate operation in support of teaching, learning, research and clinical care for Penn's outstanding dental faculty, staff, clinicians, and students (www.dental.upenn.edu). The position is responsible for providing high-end researcher services and instructional sessions, managing a collections budget of approximately $379,000.00, and overseeing the daily operations of the facility.
Key to the success of the position is a collaborative relationship with a dynamic team of colleagues throughout the STEM* Libraries and overall Penn Libraries system to achieve excellence and consistency of service levels across the Libraries. The position supervises two support staff and reports to Director, STEM Libraries.
The Dental Library is in its final stages of renovation as a distributed library on three levels of the historic Evans Building at the School of Dental Medicine, featuring a grand reading room, closed-stacks, collaborative and quiet study spaces, and an active learning classroom.
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE:
* Collaborate with other STEM librarians and Penn Libraries professionals to proactively develop programs in support of research, teaching, learning and clinical care.
* Provide in-depth research assistance including bibliometric and publications reports, historic reference, citation management, and literature searching for Systematic Reviews and evidence-based healthcare, working closely with Dental School Dean, administrators, faculty, staff and students.
* Develop digital and print collections, accelerating the transition to digital content in consultation with the Coordinating Bibliographer for Health Sciences. Manage transfers of print materials to the Library's high-density off-site storage facility.
* Advise the Coordinating Bibliographer for Health Sciences on content issues and play an active role in decisions relating to the acquisition of digital resources.
* Advocate for curriculum-integrated instruction. Develop and provide curriculum- and learning management system-integrated library instruction as well as ad-hoc workshops, using a variety of techniques including video production and active-learning, demonstrating creative use of the newly renovated Dental Library spaces.
* Manage rollout of new faculty expertise database.
* Supervise two full-time support staff in the provision of document delivery and access services and oversight of facilities. Provide direction to full-time staff in supervising student assistants.
* Participate in library-wide and Dental School groups and committees, including Curriculum and Admissions committees. Convene Dental Library Advisory Committee. Participate in Dental School activities including research days and alumni events.
*STEM Libraries = Science, Technology, Engineering, Math Libraries and Library services, including the health sciences libraries.
Qualifications: * MLS from ALA-accredited program or equivalent in theory and practice and 3-5 years of professional library experience in an academic, special, medical or science library, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
* Health sciences subject expertise gained either through coursework or immersion in health sciences libraries.
* Experience managing a physical facility and library operations.
* Demonstrated collaborative working style.
* Supervisory experience.
* Collection Development experience, particularly with electronic content.
* Demonstrated experience in both teaching and literature searching as related to evidence-based healthcare and systematic reviews.
* Familiarity with active learning concepts and spaces.
* Familiarity with issues surrounding scholarly communications.
* Experience preparing bibliometric reports.
* Demonstrated commitment to professional growth and active involvement in professional activities.
Reference Number: 50-26576
Salary Grade: 028
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: Dentistry Library
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: N-Museum/Library/Archival